We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
808 posts
134 reviews
BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

Hi there, we are flying with BA to Madeira on Saturday. We don't want to pay extra to select seats but wish to maximise the chance of selecting the best seats when online checking in - for free.

The website says it's 24 hours before, does anyone know if it is actually an exact 24 hours or sooner than this? I will set my alarm a little earlier and be poised if so!?

Thanks all

16 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

It’s exactly at -24

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,072 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

It's exactly 24 hours before your flight.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
264 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

Yes, it is at the 24 hour mark. The exception being if you have reached one of the frequent flyer status levels with British Airways or another One World alliance airline, then you can do it sooner.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
808 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

That's great, many thanks. We only have Blue Executive Membership, which gives us 24 hours, but I'll be there!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

Yes, it is at the 24 hour mark. The exception being if you have reached one of the frequent flyer status levels with British Airways or another One World alliance airline, then you can do it sooner.

Clairification: You cannot check-in sooner if you have BA/oneworld status but you can pick your seats sooner.

When you are logged into Manage My Booking there's even a countdown clock (to the second) that shows you when you can check-in.

Kent
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

They send a text when you can check in, we got seats next to each other as did my friends , planes were full too even tho it was March

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,882 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

Plus, if you have connecting flights (say MAN-LHR-SIN) you can check in and select seats for all the flights at D-24: before the first flight. That gets you a bit of a head start over some pax whose first flight is your second (but of course that cuts both ways).

Not BA, but on the few occasions I’ve had to wait until D-24: to check in and select seats there has been a very wide selection available, including some really good gems of seats. That’s been on Lufthansa and Air Canada (Lufthansa now has a stricter advance seat reservation policy than BA for economy, in that alliance elites have to pay for ASR).

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

If by chance there's a disability involved such as in my case (legally blind) check the disabled and mobility challenged section for additional seating exceptions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

Also, if you have the BA app on your phone it will send you an alert when check-in opens.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
277 reviews
10. Re: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?

last few times I haven't had the alert from BA.. so I just set my own alarm!

Reply to: BA Online check in - seat selection - is it really 24 hours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions