We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Lettings - Fraud

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Holiday Lettings - Fraud

I've booked an apartment in Tenerife with Tripadvisors sister site Holiday Lettings.

I was just about to pay the balance when I realised I didn't have a booking confirmation from the deposit. I've tried phoning the owner, but her number is unobtainable, and now the owners name & number has changed on the advert, and that number is also unobtainable.

I emailed the owner yesterday but no response yet (altho she did respond to me the day before and everything seemed ok). The ad looks legit, and they have been on holiday lettings since April 2009.

what do you think? Surely is there has been an on-going fraud Holiday Lettings would have been notified and taken them off? But it's impossible to get contact details for holiday lettings to speak to them .....

Help!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

You could try and contact Holiday Lettings via their web form.

holidaylettings.co.uk/contact_something_else…

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

Hi gardeningmad92,

Can you send me a private message with your email address so that I can pass this to Holiday Lettings? I'll ask someone there to contact you directly so that they can help you with this.

Sincerely,

TA_Jeanine

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

Hi gardeningmad92,

In your pm, can you also tell me the name of the property or send me a link to it?

Thanks,

Jeanine

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

Hi I am wanting to rent a holiday rental in Lond and found a great deal for 40 pounds a night but and nervous to book the website is:

http://www.worldholidayhome.net/default.html

I found it on craiglist, he sent me the address but his terms as follows:

We require refundable 200 GBP security deposit to cover for any damages made and in the case of no damage made,200 GBP will be refunded at checking out.Prices include VAT and Linen

We require 100% reservation deposit for less than 5 nights plus refundable 200GBP. Deposit required is 320GBP ,We accept

Bank to Bank transfer

Wire Transfer

Please help is this legit or should I walk away? Its a very good deal!

Thanks for your help!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

jaxram, post this on the London forum and you will get more responses, but to be honest, if it looks too good to be true then it usually is.

£40 a night is ridiculously low for London, and asking to wire money should also set alarm bells ringing

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

Craig's List is a scammers paradise and to be avoided as is paying by wire transfer where the money is heading to West Africa before you can say "con".

For many parts of London you would need to add a naught at the end for some of the better properties.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 04:45
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

Thanks so much for your responses! I think I will for sure pass and not risk

the possible fraud!

8. Re: Holiday Lettings - Fraud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 02:16