We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel search without destination?

8 posts
Save Topic
Hotel search without destination?

When I was planning my most recent trip, amongst all of the multitudes of websites I looked through, I stumbled across one that gave me global results that weren't tied to a specific destination search. For example, "all hotels on a beach with free wifi" (or something like that) and up popped a list of hotels around the world that met those criteria. Since I used so many sites and so many of them look the same, I can't remember how I chanced upon this search option. Can anyone help?

I may have entered a destination, then was given a chance to remove it from the search criteria. I'm certain I had to enter dates. Hope that helps.

6 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,192 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel search without destination?

Maybe it was "Trivago" ?

England, United...
Level Contributor
15,485 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel search without destination?

RT

I think the OP has now found a place in the Dominican Republic.... seems to be heading there on June 16th...

Mon

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel search without destination?

Yes! Trivago! Thank you!!!

And while I am going to DR, I'm now researching ideas for our next trip. Thanks for your help!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,127 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel search without destination?

Good job RT 👍

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel search without destination?

Be careful with Trivago. They can send you to less than reputable sites for some of the low price bookings. Trivago is good for comparison as long as you book directly after comparing prices or make sure they are sending you to a reputable site.

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel search without destination?

Thanks for the heads up! I'm new to all this travel planning. For DR I found the hotel I liked, researched the bejezus out of it, then booked directly with the hotel. I heard that if you go though another site to book, the hotel gives the better rooms to the people who book direct with them. Don't know if that's true or not. Also reviews can be scary, like a ton of people will like a place but then there's some harsh negatives from others and I'm like, did you stay at the same place? Did you have a negative experience because you're an jerk and rude to the staff? Did you have bigger expectations than your wallet? Hard to tell sometimes.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 04:14
Reply to: Hotel search without destination?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions