We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited mobility sans wheelchair

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Limited mobility sans wheelchair

Why does everyone assume that if you need handicapped access, you are in a wheelchair?

This assumption puts many things uphill, or long walks from the parking area, or the lobby to the room, or the room to the entrance. I have repeatedly requested from hotels to put us in a room close to the door, on the ground floor or the floor level with the parking lot and the rooms we get are inevitably a long walk from the entrance or elevator. Many hotels, even when told we need assistance, do not offer any help with baggage, instead saying something like, "the luggage cart is over there." It is infuriating as well as painful when every little necessity is met with some sort of unnecessary struggle.

PLEASE help me raise awareness that not ALL people with limited mobility are wheelchair-bound. Many are on canes or crutches or simply cannot walk far without pain or further injury. Many people have temporary disabilities with broken limbs or surgery recovery. Help me educate the hospitality industry that an aging population (the folks with money to spend) brings greater physical limitations of which only a few are solved by wheelchair access.

3 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,830 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited mobility sans wheelchair

Hi CattFoy;

The TripAdvisor forums are for travel related discussions. The forums are not to be used as the platform for calls for boycott, or for organizing socio-political or cultural changes.

Best Regards

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited mobility sans wheelchair

Excellent points. I'm one of those with mobility issues who does not use a wheelchair. Hotels are hit & miss with regard to staff education.

NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited mobility sans wheelchair

THANK YOU.

I have spinal disc disease and can only walk about 15 minutes at a time before my lumbar spine gets on fire.

I use wheelchair in the airport because they are huge...We live near Atlanta....huge airport.

But other than that....I walk ...no cane.....but I walk slowly....and when my back gets on fire then I need

to find a seat or bench ...etc to sit down on for a few minutes. Then I can get up and go again.

I take Advil every day for back pain...Im 69.

I also always ask for rooms in hotels close to elevators..

I can go up a few steps.......but not a whole staircase.....without my hubby helping me.

I can go downstairs better...but slowly.

I cannot do steep ramps they hurt my hip terribly.

We like to go to Vegas ....but last time stayed at Caesar's and that was a mistake.

The elevator for our tower was SO SO FAR to walk from the main entrance.

Next time we'll go back to the Mirage....

Hubby also has very bad knees and lumbar issues as well....

Looking for a place to go to for my 70th bday a year from now..June 2019.

Would love to go someplace we have never been.....but NOT out of country.

THANKS.

Reply to: Limited mobility sans wheelchair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted