We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

I would love to go to Thailand - Bangkok and a beach resort. I use a manual wheelchair and my husband pushes me. He is pretty fit plus I can walk a little.

We've been to Thailand before, when I could walk, and are under no illusions that it will be easy. We don't want to visit the sights so much, more enjoy the ambience, food and culture.

Looking for a beach resort which is relatively flat !!! Or has a bit of a prom!! and an area of Bangkok which you think is suitable, maybe near a mall.

It's a typical system that, when I could walk, I took no notice of any disabled.facilites. I know pavements are awful.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. My idea is to find "wheelchair friendly" cities and have a bit of a trip (6 weeks) - Singapore, Kuala Lumpur. Penang - again any addvice would be great.

6 replies to this topic
Malmo, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

Thailand is really a nice place to go, especially the food. I love the food there so much. Here is some information about accessible Thailand. You can check the food and transportation there. https:/…

For the beach resort, do you want to find one just in Bangkok or the whole Thailand?

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

Thank you for your prompt reply. Probably the whole of Thailand - Pattaya Phuket etc etc. I just need a bit of advice. I didn't know they had beaches near to Bangkok.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

Ao Nang could suit as a beach resort. You can fly to Krabi from KL or Bangkok., then get a taxi to Ao Nang.

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

Thank you I will look it up. Regards

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

You may get more help by asking in the Thailand forum https:/…ShowForum-g293915-i3686-Thailand.html

I also love Thailand, but beach resorts are very different from the UK, and promenades are rare. Many UK promenades started as part of seawalls in the UK, and that just hasn't happened in Thailand.

It's some years since I went. You will need to check your travel insurance, there may be restrictions on cover because Thailand is under a military government (when I checked there was a warning about this on the UK Foreign Office site).

The Thais are very nice people, and you will find they will help you cope.

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user

Thank you so much, especially about the forum. I've had a few great responses but only a few. I too went to Thailand many years ago when I could walk. I know it'll be a challenge so I suppose, with a lot of research I should go for it. Thanks again

Reply to: Visiting Thailand - with a wheelchair user
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions