We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with 2 disabled people

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
94 reviews
56 helpful votes
Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

I am taking 2 disabled people to Ireland. I have requested wheelchairs for both of them with United. Will the wheelchairs be provided at check in? And how do we get through security with them? Also, doesn't matter on boarding if we go first or last on our outbound flights but on our return, our connection is rather short and the nice United agent on the phone moved us up to Economy Plus from our seats in the back at no extra charge so we can exit sooner. Will we have to wait until last to exit?? Worried about our connection which United says we should be able to make. Thanks for any advice.

6 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
101,387 posts
99 reviews
631 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

Hi Mise48;

I would suggest posting your question on the “Air Travel” forum as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html

Best Regards

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
94 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

Will do.. Thanks

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
101,387 posts
99 reviews
631 helpful votes
3. Re: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

You're welcome!

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
337 reviews
278 helpful votes
4. Re: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

When you request special assistance, i.e. a wheelchair, you hand over all the problems to the attendant.

Once you reach checkin you'll be told what to do.

So don't worry. When you get to security, the wheelchair occupant will be patted down, a hand search as he can't go thru the normal machine. It's done with courtesy, and isn't a problem.

I understand your concern about the return transfer. Again it's not your problem. But I think changing your class will not change the fact you disembark after everybody else.

As RescueTeam suggests, ask on the Air Travel forum, perhaps somebody there can give you more help.

Also ask on the destination forum for the location of the transfer airport, somebody there may know the airport and can give advice (that often works with Singapore).

As I said United reckon it'll work, so in theory it's not your problem. But you can't prove they talked to you on the phone! So if you are still worried, you might want to email them, and have that conversation on a suitable device when you board the plane. At that point you can alert the flight attendants to your short transfer time.

I've found since I've needed special assistance, flying is less stressful. I'm sure it will work out for you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
94 reviews
56 helpful votes
5. Re: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

Thanks so much for the detailed response. It does ease my mind.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
337 reviews
278 helpful votes
6. Re: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Save

Glad to have helped. Overall disabilities do mean you'll receive extra help at the airport. My wife deeply appreciates that .

Reply to: Travelling with 2 disabled people
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.