We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British airways or emirates???

Uitenhage, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
British airways or emirates???

Hi Guys.

I am flying to Amsterdam from South Africa in December. What will be the best to use British Airways or Emirates?

Can someone tell me what is all included in an normal economy ticket. ( I see British airways includes a check in bag and complimentary food) Any one knows what Emirates have to offer?

It will be the first time I fly internationally.

Thanks Vicky

7 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,873 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British airways or emirates???

This question is really better asked on the air travel forum.

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html

although you may get answers suggesting you click on the Emirates website and read it.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,785 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: British airways or emirates???

I'd probably go with Emirates. I wouldn't much fancy transiting in Heathrow as it's such a huge airport. Also-check if you need a transit visa- you might do even if not leaving the airport. If you do need one that's definitely a reason to avoid BA.

I regularly fly Emirates from UK to Africa and they do still include checked bags and food. They are definitely one of the better airlines out there and probably better than BA.

If going to Amsterdam, another option would be KLM as they fly direct from Johannesburg.

Uitenhage, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British airways or emirates???

Thank you so much for response. I was also thinking Emirates. They are cheaper as well. In won't be leaving the airport at all.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British airways or emirates???

For the last five years I gave flown from UK to Bangkok on either Etihad, Emirates,Qatar or Gulf Air. All those Middle Eastern airlines are very good and they all include good food. I was even upgraded to business class on Emirates last year for free, and it was excellent with fully reclinable seat, minibar beside each seat and even a full size bar at the back of the plane.

BA was good twenty years ago but now many other airlines are a lot better value. I usually look on a cheap flights website to get an idea of prices but then go to that airlines website to book directly with them..You can sometimes get cheap travel insurance at the same time when booking online.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British airways or emirates???

Tripadvisor has member reviews of all airlines - https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Airlines

You can filter and narrow down the reviews to Economy, or certain routes and read what passengers felt about their flights and the airline. Photos are there too.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British airways or emirates???

I’d go emirates personally, having flown with both long haul- tho cost and scheduling are also important. From memory BA has less checked luggage allowance but more carry on allowance, Emirates at least flights I’ve been on, has 30kg checked allowance for economy, if that’s relevant to you. Overall I prefer Emirates, specially if BA involves Heathrow, I hate Heathrow and immigration there.

India
Level Contributor
241 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British airways or emirates???

Emirates has always been a better experience than BA for me. Plus their entertainment options are better :)

Reply to: British airways or emirates???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted