We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

7 posts
Save Topic
Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

I would like to travel somewhere in August and not have to book all my hotels in advance. I started researching Iceland, Scotland, and some other places and eventually learned that those destinations definitely do NOT support that kind of travel in August.

Is there anywhere that does? Another way of asking this I suppose is what locations should have plenty of vacancies in August

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,296 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

Are you looking worldwide please? You don’t have a location on your profile but how about somewhere where it’s winter when you travel or somewhere with high humidity or the risk of hurricane? If you’re prepared to take risks with the weather and you aren’t limited by distance there are lots of options.

Italy
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

You're basically looking at places that will be low season. High season virtually everything will be booked. You might find a triple room empty when all you want is a single.

Which brings up the other problem with no bookings that time of year. Budget. Do you care about the price?

Basically in Europe the only places that will have a reasonable amount of vacancies are the larger hot weather cities. People avoid Rome and the southern Spain to a certain extent with most visiting beaches or mountain locations. Seville if you can handle the heat might fit your requirements. But it will be hot enough you will understand why most are at the beach

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,015 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

You'll have to think of an unpopular cold place or perhaps a VERY hot one that is not at a beach. Those are the types of places where people don't want to go in summer . Most places are quite busy at that time and I'd always book in advance to get the best price.

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

I'm open to any location with the caveats that:

1) It doesn't have a long complicated VISA process

2) We're talking about hotels, not camp sites

3) Not Antarctica, Sahara desert, etc.

Budget is always a concern but I'd have to balance it with the opportunity, so hard to give a specific number.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:47
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,136 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

It would also help if you stated

1. Do you have a passport ( &from which country)

2. Long haul or short flights ( as in 2, 4,8 or 12 hour flights).

3.Yiour budget, & please don't say $ as these could be Aus, Canadian or various other counties which t use the $ symbol.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

You are kidding yourself in August. The entire globe takes a holiday in August. Your backyard needs no August reservation though.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

welcome,

You can do what you wish. But you may not like WHERE you find your lodging.

If you are willing to commute or stay in the next town/city/village/cross roads, then you can do what you want.

There is a price for not planning when (most) everyone else is.

good luck.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,989 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

The complexity of the visa process depends on the undisclosed nationality of your passport. Most people would say that Russian visas are complicated but Thais get a free visa exemption.

Shooting in the dark Thailand may fit the requirements. Most Western passports get a free visa exemption and many others visa on arrival. August is rainy (low) season in most of the country with relatively low hotel bookings and room rates. The frequent rains and high seas discourage visitors who want to grill themselves on the beach but seasoned visitors to Thailand consider the European summer months to be a great time for visits. Flights can also be quite affordable during this period (like 500 euros return from Europe). The low cost of accommodation can quickly offset the flight cost if you are staying longer than a week.

Apart from dorm beds accommodation is sold at a per room basis but prices are quite affordable for solo travelers with air conditioned rooms easily available for less than 30 euros per night.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

Well, from experience, New Orleans, Florida, and Phoenix AZ. Because they suck the big one in August. Hotel deals are good though.

But honestly, much of your problem is that you didn’t start with a realistic list. Somewhere like Iceland and Scotland are busy year round, have limited lodging to begin with, and August is definitely high season. As I’ve been to both in January I can tell you there’s a good reason for that. Being flexible with lodging is a definite perk in January but that time of year limits you rather severely in many other ways.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?

Rarely does a city sell out of beds but you have to be prepared to pay the price for what is left or an inconvenient location.

Reply to: Location that would allow no advanced bookings in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions