We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

berlin
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

I bought a ticket from rome to florence one week before my travel time and on the day I arrived 30 minutes before departure time at tiburtina station in Rome. Nobody was there to help . All the i formation stalls were empty. Absolutely no one spoke English. It was a nighmare to find the platform and where to go finally a security guy sent us to a wrong platform and by the time I arrived at the right platform it was 8:55 sharp which was the departure time on my ticket but the train just left in front of my eyes! I finally found a Italo desk and the girl behind the desk was extremely rude and told me it is mentioned in the site when you buy the ticket that the train departs 3 minutes before the departure time!!! I asked her to show it to me she spent literally 30 minutes searching the internet at the end she said i found it but it’s in italian . Tada! I speak italian :) but again she refused to show me. At the end I had to spend 70 € for a last minute ticket. Does anyone know how i can arrange a complaint? In their website there’s nothing about complaints!!!!

34 replies to this topic
1. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 June 2018, 17:11

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,097 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

Complain about what? It sounds like most of the problem was caused by your own ineptitude.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

You (tada) speak Italian? But you complained no one spoke English?

Why would you expect English speakers at an Italian train station ... isn't Italian the language of the country?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,846 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

Surely Italo trains will be shown on the departure screens?

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

The OP is from Berlin, so should be familiar with train travel. Which makes this story rather puzzling.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

How weird! Everyone in Italy speaks Italian and everything is in Italian... I'm amazed!

But... You were late... End of story. Reasons why and how don't matter. It's the responsibility of the traveler to turn up in time. And as outlined in the terms and conditions of Italo they were on time in their maybe early departure (did you check? Was your time exactly the same as the station clock?)

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

When travelling in a foreign country I always try to make sure I know the local words for "platform", "track", "arrivals" etc...

That usually makes navigating an unknown station a lot easier.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,998 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

On your ticket were both the departure time of your train and its train number. The platform (Binario) for your train would have been clearly indicated on the electronic Partenze/Departures screens after the departure time and train number, and the signs for the platforms are clear in what is a recently modernised station. I do not understand why you felt the need to ask for directions.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

So you live in Germany but decided to ask for information in English in Italy when you say you speak Italian. You remind me of a bunch of American dentists complaining on a train in rural France that the conductors spoke French instead of English.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,998 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!

I interpreted 'Tada, I speak Italian' as sarcastic'.

As for 'In their website there’s nothing about complaints!', it's just taken me about 30 seconds to find an e-mail claims form on the Italo website. In English. https:/…claim

However. I suspect that Italo would regard any claim arising out of this incident as entirely frivolous.

Reply to: Italo train departs 30 seconds before departure time!!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted