We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in europe

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Train travel in europe

Hi

I need to book train tickets ( 2 seniors) from Amsterdam to Limoges (Fr) 4/9

Limoges to Barcelona 8/9

Barcelona to Madrid 15/9.

would appreciate any/ all information.

Hope thats not too general

Many thanks

Fawzi

10 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in europe

Start here: www.seat61.com

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,562 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in europe

"Limoges to Barcelona 8/9" Use www.loco2.com (official French and Spanish tickets issued with no mark-up) or for the French part the official site at https://www.oui.sncf/ and within Spain www.renfe.com but it is a journey of nearly 10 hours. There is no night train.

"Barcelona to Madrid 15/9" Loco2 or RENFE as above.

As normal, book early for lowest fares, reservations are compulsory.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in europe

Thanks a lot.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in europe

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,695 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in europe

You can book all this travel with www.trainline.eu which is an official agency for all the train companies used for these journeys, and sells at the train companies' prices.

Level Contributor
927 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in europe

<You can book all this travel with www.trainline.eu which is an official agency >

(almost) nothing wrong with booking via trainline.eu, but it is not an offical agency. They are just a reseller of tickets. Almost, because some tickets are more expensive than the ones bought via the railway company

easiest route for Amsterdam to Limoges:

Amsterdam to Paris Nord by Thalys

Paris Nord to Paris Austerlitz by metro/RER (tickets can be bought in the Thalys)

Paris Austerlitz to Limoges by Intercité

This ticket can be bought via https://www.nsinternational.nl/ or https://www.oui.sncf/

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in europe

Checking on bahn.de shows 2 options from Limoges at 07.12 and 09.56 and both taking a bit under 10 hours as you need to go via Narbonne.

There is a faster journey showing at 10.57 but the early part involves changing trains in 6 minutes which would make me nervous when this is effectively the last connection that day.

There might be a more direct but slow route through the Pyrenees via La Tour de carol but it would need to be researched manually as bahn.de doesn't seem to know about local trains in Spain.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel in europe

Doing a bit more research, Limoges at 09.56 gets to the Spanish border station at La Tour de Carol at 17.47 with a change in Toulouse.

Looking at today there is a local train from La Tour (La Tor de Querol-Enveig in Catalan) at 18.59 getting to Barcelona at 22.05. check nearer the time in case they change:

http://rodalies.gencat.cat/en/horaris/

I suspect this route will be cheaper (the local train to Barcelona says it is €12 each), but it is a long trip through the mountains on trains that stop at every post box, but scenic!

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,067 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel in europe

>>> Looking at today there is a local train from La Tour (La Tor de Querol-Enveig in Catalan) at 18.59 getting to Barcelona at 22.05 <<<

Yes, that is a truly local train. Although it is a long and infrequent route serving a deeply rural mountainous area, and it starts off in a different country, it is actually regarded as part of the Barcelona regional network!

There is absolutely no chance of booking this in advance, and I don't even think there are ticketing facilities at La Tour de Carol/La Tor de Querol, you pay the conductor on the train.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,562 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel in europe

"There is absolutely no chance of booking this in advance,"

After Toulouse there are no reservations available but one ticket will take you all the way from Limoges to La Tour de Carol. Tickets for the Spanish train from there to Barcelona were sold only on board last time I was there. >Despite the distance, the Spanish trains are operated as part of the Barcelona suburban network,. Tickets are not sold on line.

Make sure you have food and drink with you. Nothing at all is available on board beyond Toulouse on the local trains. There is a café / bar at Latour de Carol station ( Le Bistro de la Gare )which apparently is open until 2200hrs every night.

I shall be there myself in a couple of months.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 17:38
Reply to: Train travel in europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted