We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

I stupidly purchased a Global Eurail Pass and have just gone to book the actual train trips. As well as charging ridiculously high booking fees I am also being charged EUR33 to travel from London to Paris despite their website saying this trip was included in the price... I am in Melbourne, Australia and I now have the issue that apparently the London to Paris ticket is sent to me and takes at least 8 days... I leave Melbourne for London in 3 days. I have tried to change my address on my Eurail profile so I can get the ticket sent to my London address but it wont let me. Anyone got any advice.

And a word of warning for anyone looking at purchasing a Eurail Pass, Eurail Global Pass ... DON'T. It is a ripoff and so disappointing.... Don't even have a phone number to contact them!

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

It is pretty clear, at the bottom of this page https:/…eurostar what the reservation fee is for Eurostar when using a Eurail Pass. They don't hide it.

Having said that, I understand your angst. You could have bought the same ticket in advance, direct online from the operator, with a print at home ticket and paid only a few € more than the Eurail reservation fee for Eurostar.

If you have your travel planned out and provide your itinerary there is a chance you can get advice here on trains that avoid the additional reservation fees. Also it can be cheaper and easier to reserve direct with operators rather than through Eurail/ RailEurope.

This may help re reservations and Pass use https://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-p…

Edited: 10 June 2018, 14:43
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

To book your passholder Eurostar fare, you will of course have gone to https:/…interrail

You'll have booked for €30 (standard class) or €38 (standard premier/1st class) with no added fee or markup and printed out your ticket.

What is this nonsense about tickets 'being sent'? Eurostar tickets are all print-your-own.

PS. InterRail or Eurail, these are exactly same thing as far as Eurostar passholder tickets are concerned.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 14:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

" And a word of warning for anyone looking at purchasing a Eurail Pass, Eurail Global Pass ... DON'T. It is a ripoff "

That has been a subject of thousands of posts in this forum....

Re booking with your pass , some tips

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,120 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

I'm sorry you have been caught out. Eurail passes are seldom value for money. Your advice is good, but has been given many times before. It's a shame you didn't see some of the previous warnings. If you had, I'm sure you'd have avoided buying a pass after reading just a few of the similar stories to yours.

As to what to do now, I haven't a clue, I'm afraid. The Man says that the tickets should be print at home tickets, so I have no idea why yours have to be sent out.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

Did your travel agent advise you to get this pass?

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

G,Day.. Welcome to forum

It looks like it is a great urgency to get your ticket for Eurostar.

I cannot guarantee, but try this trick. RailEuro and RailPlus - 2 companies that supply rail passes and tickets to Australians are at this address 51 Queen Street in Melbourne CBD. Level6 . Rail plus phone: 96428644.

Maybe it is worth to go there personally first thing on tuesday and talk to them about your urgent matter.

If you do, let us know how it went. All the best mate and enjoy your trip. Chris.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

Do you work for them?

I wouldn't go to any 3rd party agent in Australia for advice and tickets for train travel in the UK and Europe, or anywhere in the world for that matter, because they are clueless!

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

Hi...

he says he is leaving Melbourne in 3 days, and his pass will arrive to him in 8 days sent by mail.

I am just helping, I live in Melbourne and know where they are. I know very well about problems with passes

bought from Eurail, and would never send anyone there but he has done it already. Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass

If the OP just follows the Man's advice in post #2 and uses the Eurostar site themselves they can book a seat for €30 and print their own ticket. As Mark already said the Eurail or Interail Pass can be booked for Eurostar the same way.

There is no need to personally seek out any office in Melbourne or have further dealings with RailEurope/RailPlus/Eurail

Edited: 10 June 2018, 22:12
Reply to: Extreme difficulty booking trains on Eurail Global Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted