We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

Hi, I'm from the USA. I'll be traveling from Strasbourg to Paris in early September. I'm coming in from a longer trip which includes Munich to Stuttgart to Strasbourg, the tickets of these routes I have already booked EASILY online at Bahn.de.

My last leg is Strasbourg to Paris. There are two choices for high-speed trains, German ICE or French TGV leaving Strasbourg with 20 minutes of each other. What would you choose, given the strikes at SNCF? Can it spill over to September? Where can I find strike info for Deutsch Bahn.de trains?

If I choose ICE, I can book directly with bahn.de easily as I have done for the German leg of my trip. I even have on online account.

If I choose TGV, I may have to book my train at trainline.eu or loco2. In previous trips to France, I couldn't book from SNCF.

6 replies to this topic
SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
675 posts
1. Re: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

The strike could affect the ICE as well (it runs on French tracks after all). I do not think there is any reliable information about the situation in September so far.

Other than that, I find ICE trains a bit more comfortable than TGVs in general; on the other hand, Deutsche Bahn is currently replacing the seats in ICE 3 trains (the type used on this route) with uncomfortable ones. All in all, the difference is not that big. Either train will be fine for the short trip.

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
132 reviews
2. Re: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

Having looked on Bahn.de, Loco 2 and Trainline I cannot find an ICE running from Strasbourg to Paris - you can get a through ticket from Stuttgart, but you have to change at Karlsruhe from ICE to TGV in 14 minutes. You can also book a TGV from Stuttgart to Paris direct.

If you think that you change trains in 14 minutes and really want to experience the ICE then that's the way to go, but even German trains get delays causing you a missed connection.

Personally, I'd go for the Stuttgart - Paris direct TGV.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,958 posts
3. Re: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

The ICE is a SNCF service when in France (just like the TGV is DB service when in Germany). So as likely to be affected by strikes as the other trains.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
4. Re: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

Hi all, I will in most probability book the French TGV. Maybe use trainline.eu if cannot book at SNCF. I just hope strikes are over once I get there in early Sept. But Strasbourg is only 2 hrs from Paris by train, I'm not gonna stress over that and my flight home is gonna be 3 days later anyway from CDG.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,235 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

"If I choose ICE, I can book directly with bahn.de easily as I have done for the German leg of my trip. I even have on online account."

While DB shows ICE trains between Strasbourg and Paris (e.g. dep. 12:19, arr. 14:05), you cannot book these - any more than you can TGV departures - on their website, it will say "tariff abroad". You can only book online with DB if departing from GERMANY - that is, if the ticket would be for a journey starting (and/or finishing) somewhere in Germany, even if it finishes in France, as with your ticket from Stuttgart to Strasbourg.

As Strasbourg-Paris is entirely within France, unless you use one of the booking agents/resellers, you can only book through French Railways (https://en.oui.sncf/en/), or on the spot at a station in Germany (or France, of course).

Edited: 11 June 2018, 07:37
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
6. Re: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?

Thanks everyone, I end up booking with trainline.eu. 1st class semi-flexible for 2 people €104 euros. 2nd class €106 more expensive

Edited: 11 June 2018, 09:28
Reply to: German ICE Or French TGV Strasbourg to Paris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted