We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Bahn booking question

Se Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
DB Bahn booking question

Hi folks

Currently researching and booking, where the advance purchase window allows, inter city trips in Europe during early-mid December.

I have booked London - Amsterdam via Eurostar website @ E80 for 3 December.

Have also booked and reserved seats Amsterdam - Nuremberg, via DB Bahn for 5 Dec @E88.

I appear to be (slightly) too early for our next legs: Nuremberg - Paris and Paris to London (9 and 11 December respectively).

I have noticed however when looking at the DB Bahn site for the same service Nuremberg - Paris a week earlier - to get an idea of which train and what prices are available - that there is a considerable variation in the "savings fare".

EG: our preferred service: 1000 IC/ICE service via Stuttgart is E159.80, while the same route at 0739 is E99.80.

My question is: is the E159.80 price as good as it is going to get for the 10am service; or, (like the UK), could that train get cheaper a little further into the advance purchase window.

Many TIA

11 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,121 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Bahn booking question

" could that train get cheaper a little further into the advance purchase window. "

No, it will not get cheaper, the 'Sparpreis' will go up to the next level (depending on demand), but it will be the next step up, not down

Se Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Bahn booking question

Thanks hadiwi. Question answered - despite my not specifying the prices quoted were for 2 adults.

Now... what price a sleep in?

Something that won't bother ME.. but........

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Bahn booking question

You can identify quite clearly the price of a sleep-in :)

€60-odd!

Discuss!

SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DB Bahn booking question

"I appear to be (slightly) too early for our next legs: Nuremberg - Paris and Paris to London (9 and 11 December respectively)."

No, not slightly: The new (2019) schedule will be used from Dec 9th on, so you can only book when it has been loaded into the systems. For services within Germany, this is usually the case mid October; I guess international connections might appear at the same time or perhaps a bit later (not sure about that). I do not think you can book Paris to London on the DB website.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,088 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DB Bahn booking question

Paris - London you need the Eurostar website: www.eurostar.com

Eurostar takes bookings up to 6 months (actually 180 days) ahead and this does not seem to be affected by timetable changes - presumably they e-mail their customers if there is a change to their booking.

Se Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB Bahn booking question

Thanks everyone

GermanSW: Does this mean I won't be able to book the Nuremberg to Paris leg on 9 December until the new schedule is published in mid-October (ish)?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,121 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DB Bahn booking question

Yes, that is the case. Booking is now available up to and including Dec 8th.

Se Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB Bahn booking question

Thanks hadiwi.

Darn! I imagine there will be some competition for the "cheap seats" when the new schedule is promulgated as demand is compressed.

Would have been nice too, having made all my other bookings , to get all my ducks in a row nice and early.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DB Bahn booking question

Well... No... Not really. There is not that much demand for those cheap tickets. Remember that for us it's one of the major ways to get around.

Do you plan going to grandma 180 days in advance? Or do you plan to go and see that nice museum on the other end of the country combined with a long romantic weekend 180 days in advance?

It's mainly the tourists using the cheapies and people who know way in advance what they're gonna do. I knew I was gonna attend a conference 5 months in advance. So I got my tickets 5 months out and got a very cheap ride from NL to Munich. But in general most Europeans will only book tickets a few weeks and mostly even a few days out...

SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DB Bahn booking question

"But in general most Europeans will only book tickets a few weeks and mostly even a few days out" - or a few minutes, which is what I usually do :-)

Reply to: DB Bahn booking question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted