We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

Hi - this is not an easy route! Has anyone done this - looks like you have to go back to Milan, then go to Brig, then Zermatt - lots of changes along the way, If anyone can help with the easiest route that would be great. Google seems to think there is a direct route - but doesn't seem so when you try to book.

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,127 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

" Google seems to think there is a direct route "

https:/…pettenasco

Very unlikely.

Here is what I found:

Regional train Pettenasco to Domodosolla (approx. €5)

then buy Domodossola to Zermatt (via Brig) with www.sbb.ch (approx. 56 CHF)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

This is a very easy route.

Direct train from Orta-Miasino (walking distance from San Giulio) to Domodossola www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Trains from Domodossola to Zermatt, changing at Visp or Brig according to departure time https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Pettenasco is an alternative train station on the lake, but is a much less popular tourist location than San Giulio.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 17:20
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

Thanks so much for the replies - I thought I would have to go from Pettenasco as the train route was showing Orta wasn't an option, so I will try again.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

See Google maps for the location of Stazione (station) Orta-Miasino. Depending on where you are located in Orta San Giulio, it's a 10 to 30 minutes walk.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

Thanks - it is all the connecting trains that are the pain on this route, and all the "not availables"on the ones I want to catch - I'm not sure if this means they are fully booked!

York, UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

Hi

I travelled by Lake Orta by train a couple of weeks ago.

Find a suitable station then head to Domodossola. From there catch the train to Brig and change there for Zurich.

A more scenic but slower journey would be to change at Domodossola and Bern. This takes you through the Lotschberg pass rather than through the base tunnel. I think these trains run every 2 hours from Domodossola. This slower route is what we took.

We didn’t actually get off the train at Lake Orta but stayed on to Novara (in the south) and then changed there for Milan. Of course this is an option - Lake Orta - Novara - Milan - Zurich.

I would assume if you wanted to go via Milan you would need separate tickets as you are heading south to go north.

The trains from Lake Orta to Domodossola can’t sell out as they are just a local train - the same applies on the train from a Domodossola to Bern and Bern to Zermatt. However some Domodossola to Brig trains (if you want the faster option) are “EuroCity” services with compulsory reservations for cross border trips so these can sell out. Also (and I’m guessing) there could be a ban on this journey (Domodossola to Brig) as it’s relatively short and they could be saving seats for people making longer distance journeys.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 06:40
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

My guess is that you are using Trenitalia for trains to Brig, rather than SBB from Domodossola as advised.

Trenitalia does not sell tickets for trains starting in Domodossola, as these are Swiss trains. It does give times on its website, but as it does not sell tickets for them they are unavailable on that website. Buy from SBB.

And there are no compulsory reservations on trains from Domodossola to Brig, even on the Eurocity trains from Milan, as Swiss rules apply. Italian ticketing does not apply from Domodossola to Brig.

Frankly, only two changes of train to get from one tiny village with a population of 1,100 to one very small town with a population of 5,700 at the end of a dead-end valley in another country seems very reasonable to me. You'd hardly expect to have direct trains.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland

Thanks! I have booked the tickets now - the train websites can be less than helpful at explaining all this.

Reply to: Train from lake Orta in Italy to Zermatt in Switzerland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted