We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage

We consider going by train in stead of flying but we carry 2 x 40 kg in different suitcases - would that be allowed on bzd.bg train Sofia to Varna ?

4 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage

Yes, but remember you have to carry it all yourself. There is no checked luggage and no one is going to carry it for you.

While it's none of my business: how on earth do you manage to amass 80kg of luggage? Even if Mrs Lion and me put all our clothes, towels and shoes in a bag we wouldn't even reach 40kg...

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage

You will be allowed to take that much, but is it really a good idea? It seems like an awful lot to carry or drag around to me, and not just in railway stations or on and off trains.

My mantra is always to travel light, particularly when using trains and buses.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage

This is 10 years old and I don't know whether they did it (BDZ website is silent on the subject, or I didn't find it) but they were intending to limit luggage to 30 kg per person, at least included in the ticket price: https://www.novinite.com/articles/91657/Bulgaria%27s+Railways+to+Impose+Luggage+Limit%2C+Check-in

You could always e-mail them on bdz@bdz.bg and ask.

But have you read anything about trains in Bulgaria? Buses are faster (1 hr less than the train) and generally considered to be SAFER and more comfortable!

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage

I'm sorry Qaminari but having traveled extensively in Bulgaria by car I can only say that roads are NOT safe at all. Yearly death toll is among the highest in Europe, driving is chaotic at best, bus drivers are paid by distance and not the hour so they want to get from A to B as fast as possible.

Take the train... It'll be more comfortable and a lot safer than on the roads.

Reply to: Sofia to Varna - 1. class, how much luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted