We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Bahn ticket - skipped leg

Astana, Kazakhstan
2 posts
Save Topic
DB Bahn ticket - skipped leg

Good morning - I bought RT tickets from Dusseldorf to the Hague, but we are thinking of going to Utrecht instead (~36 hour trip). To get to the Hague we have to change trains in Utrecht. Any issues with skipping the second train (to/from the Hague) and just staying in Utrecht and using only part of our ticket each way? I'm assuming this isn't like air travel where if you skip a leg of your trip, the airline may cancel your whole reservation... but I wanted to be sure before we did that. (On bahn.de the price of the RT ticket from Dusseldorf to Utrecht is the same as Dusseldorf to the Hague and there's a 19 euro cancelation fee so seems to be disadvantageous to rebook.) Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Bahn ticket - skipped leg

You wouldn't be breaking any rules - the only problem I can see is a logistical one. Dutch train stations have barriers, you need to use the bar code on your ticket to open them, and I'm not sure how this works in your situation as I don't know what information is encoded into these bar codes.

If you post to the Netherlands forum someone should be able to tell you whether or not your ticket will open the barrier at Utrecht CS... I asked a question there about tickets and bar codes the other day and they were all very knowledgeable.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Bahn ticket - skipped leg

You can do this. And your ticket will open the gates. You will not have any issues.

Astana, Kazakhstan
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Bahn ticket - skipped leg

Aviatrix and Krist v - thank you both for the helpful replies.

Reply to: DB Bahn ticket - skipped leg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted