We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail pass? Suggestions?

1 post
Save Topic
Eurail pass? Suggestions?

Hello!

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Europe for our honeymoon this Nov-Dec.

We have a preliminary outline of our trip with dates etc and are contemplating whether it is worth getting the Eurail pass or better just to book 3 months in advanced (most tickets do not seem to be available until 3 months prior)

Amsterdam 11/19-11/21

Paris 11/21-11/26

Nice 11/26-29

Milan 11/29-12/01

Venice 12/01-12/03

Rome 12/03-12/07

Barcelona 12/07-12/11

Madrid 12/11-12/15

I'm wondering if it's worth getting the 7 day 1 month global pass for 2 adults or if it would be better to buy individual tickets once they become available. We plan on riding mostly high-speed trains between these locations.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,121 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

" whether it is worth getting the Eurail pass "

This has been discussed thousands of times in this forum, just do a forum search, and if you are still not clear, please post a specific question.

Examples:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-…

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-…

" most tickets do not seem to be available until 3 months prior "

No, most tickets are available about 120 days prior, even 180 days for trains within Germany

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

A train pass is never worthwhile in France, Italy and Spain. All the fast trains in these countries have compulsory seat reservations, so passholders have to make the reservations and pay extra for them. You do much better to buy ordinary tickets well in advance, direct from these train companies:

Amsterdam-Paris: www.thalys.com

France: en.oui.sncf/en

Italy: www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or its competitor www.italotreno.it/en

Spain: www.renfe.es/en

For France, Italy and Spain, you can also buy at the same price from the trusted agency www.trainline.eu

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

Thank you.

I just checked those websites and it does appear that the eurail passes would be almost 2-3x more expensive than purchasing separate tickets.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

Rome to Barcelona by train is a very long trip! Not exactly high speed for much of it. Have a good journey.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,099 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

It would. Wait until the bookings become available, trains in Europe do not sell out (and if you can't book them, how can anyone else?).

Besides, most Europeans don't know what train journeys they will be taking this November/December, we simply don't look to buy train tickets so far ahead.

PS are you sure about Rome to Barcelona by train? Look at the geography of Southern Europe and you will see why most people fly that route. EDIT: snap, cubsur and I obviously had the same thought :)

Edited: 13 June 2018, 16:06
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

"...are you sure about Rome to Barcelona by train?"

I agree. Quickest journey I can find is 22hrs 31 minutes with an overnight stop in MIlan and a two hour wait in Chambery, France!. There are no longer any night trains.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,442 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

"I'm wondering if it's worth getting the 7 day 1 month global pass for 2 adults or if it would be better to buy individual tickets once they become available. We plan on riding mostly high-speed trains between these locations."

Why would you wonder, when you can make the calculations yourself? For a start, Eurail's website gives you the passholder fares/ reservation fees you need to ADD to the cost of the pass/es before comparing this with the cost of individual tickets (e.g. €25 per person for Thalys between Amsterdam and Paris, €10 each for Frecce Milan-Venice and Venice-Rome - that's €90 already..!).

There is no need to just give up on researching fares because you can't get trains/prices for your exact dates: use a date 3 months ahead of now that corresponds to the day of the week on which you will be doing the trip concerned (so that the timetable is correct for that day, these often vary between weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays). You'd need to do that anyway to be able to fill in departure and arrival times in your daily plan, without which you won't know how much time you have anywhere.... and adding the prices gives you exactly the price comparison you are asking for.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,039 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

Aside form the journey between Rome and Barcelona, which Ia gree is a long one that will need a stopover somewhere along the way, you need to consider other travel times. And it's not just the rail journey, but also think about the time needed to get to and from the railway stations.

On average, I expect you'll actually be spending half a day getting from one place to the next in terms of moving from hotel to hotel. So have a look at train times and see how much of a day will be taken up by travel. For example, by the time you've had a leisurely breakfast and gotten to Santa Lucia station in Venice, it might be 1000, and you might not get to your Rome accommodation until 1430. That's maybe not such a bad thing if you can't check in before 1400 anyway.

You could, of course, leave earlier than that, but it's not my cup of tea to make lots of early starts while I'm on holiday, especially if it's a honeymoon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurail pass? Suggestions?

Just to add to Roj's obsevation on time, you are going to a lot of places and spending very little quality time at some of them. Considering it is Nov/Dec there will be very reduced daylight hours for pleasant sight seeing.

Just as one suggestion, I would ditch Milan completely in order to spend more that 1 day uninterrupted by travel and accommodation relocation in both Amsterdam and Venice.

Presently your non-travel days are Amsterdam 1, Paris 4, Nice 2, Milan 1, Venice 1, Rome 3, Barcelona 3, Madrid 3.

Reply to: Eurail pass? Suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted