We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

This could be useful for travellers going that route from Verona - Brenner pass to Innsbruck and further north and beyond. There is an announcement from OBB at their trip planner about some construction work around Brenner to Innsbruck route. Long distance international trains not stopping or redirected from/at Innsbruck. Instead there will be some replacement transport provided in the coming weeks/months. Not much details - their website in also under construction.

So if you plan going that way be patient and informed in advance.

Travel safe.......Chris.

9 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

Thanks. We are doing the reverse trip and I presume the only way to get from Salzburg to Trento is through the Pass or is there another line which bypasses this route (without going hours out of our way)

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

You could take the train to Innsbruck, then get a bus to Trento (flixbus)

Last year (prior to Christmas 2017), they had maintenance work on the Brenner line too, we had to transfer to a replacement bus at Innsbruck, which took us to Brenner station. From there we rejoined the EC train to Bolzano.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

Thank you. The OBB website seemed to confuse me by saying the EC train would be redirected between Jenbach and Brenner as it could not stop in Innsbruck which is why I was wondering if there was another line. Will probably be the same arrangement that you had.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

I think there is a line that allows freight trains to bypass Innsbruck so the through trains may be using that to avoid engineering work in the station area.

Presumably there will be bus connections from Jenbach/Brenner

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

Hi All...

Brenner route is not the only one being worked on. There are few other as well. It looks like OBB is working hard to improve their rail system - which is very good in my opinion already. There is under way a tunnelling work under Brenner Pass. Some part of Bregenz to Innsbruck also under construction with bus replacements. Salzburg to Graz some track works. Salzburg - Munich and around Rosenheim in Germany

rail works as well. They however always provide replacement buses or detour of local trains. So no need for too much worry. Just be informed and accept inconvenience. Good luck.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

Thanks for the update, this was the exact trip I was thinking just today.

Quick question, do you need your passport on you to travel (UK citizen but passport is at hotel!)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

I have seen a lot of border control on this route, it is not recommended to travel without your passport

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
66,740 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

It's risky. And in Italian law states that everyone must have government issued ID with them. For us Brits, that means a passport.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass

"Quick question, do you need your passport on you to travel (UK citizen but passport is at hotel!)""

I don't know why that is a "quicker" question than any other but YES YOU DO. Precisely because a UK citizen has no official ID card, issued by their government, as an Italian or Austrian would - therefore a passport is the only evidence, in the event of any control or incident, of your UK citizenship and legal entitlement to be a) in Italy and b) on a train to Austria.

Reply to: Italy to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;