We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

My daughter and I are taking a road trip from the Green Bay, WI area to Emerald Isle, NC. I am wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on a place to stop for the night and any suggestions of things to see on the way. We looked into Charleston, WV for our stop, but I also heard it's a pretty high crime area so I'm wondering about that too.

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
NC
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Are you doing this drive in just 2 days?

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

We planned on leaving late Thursday night and driving until we find a place to stop Friday. We check in our rental in N.C. Saturday afternoon. So I guess the answer is yes, but with time to spare.

NC
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Ok, a few questions.

1) It sounds like you plan on driving all night. That is not safe or advisable by most experienced road-trippers. Do you work at night or something that requires you to normally be up all night? Driving 11 hrs is hard enough, but trying to do it at night is even worse.

2) How old is your daughter? Is she of driving age to help with driving?

Charleston from Green Bay is a hard 11 1/2 hours wheels turning, not including any stops. I don't know how you will be able to do that at night.

You need to be able to stop every -2-3 hours to stretch and doing this at night is not always safe at places like rest areas. (You also cannot park and sleep at most rest areas).

Green Bay to Emerald Isle is a good 18-19 hours, not including stops or traffic issues.

Are you able to leave Thursday during the day? If not, I recommend you waiting until Friday morning. You could always get an early start. Stop Friday night and finish driving in on Saturday. You really don't have any spare time since it will take you 2 good days to get there.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

There is one good reason to drive at night and that is to get through the Chicago area with minimal traffic delays. Perhaps you have driven through the night without a problem. If not you should have alternative plans to find someplace to stop sooner.

What would work better for me is to get some sleep at night and put in a longer day driving on Friday. That may not work for other people, but that's what I would do.

Say you leave Green Bay at 7 or 8pm you could stop somewhere in Indiana around 1am or so. Then you could put in 12 or 13 hours as needed to get closer to your destination on Friday. Of course that would require 2 nights of hotel along the way.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 03:08
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Yes my plan was to get through Chicago before the rush hour. I was going to sleep for several hours before we left. I did this a few years back when we went to Nashville. It was about 12 hours and we went straight through without any issues. This time I planned on leaving around 1am (Friday morning) and then driving about 11 hours or so. The stopping and finishing the drive Saturday.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Wow, no way I could do that. I'm good with a long drive during the day and into the night, but I'm not much good after 11pm or midnight. My husband can stay up, but I'm pretty much toast.

If I was doing it I'd look at spending the night around Indianapolis or somewhere like that and leaving Friday afternoon, maybe around 5? That would put you getting to Milwaukee, say around 6:30 or 7, then on to Chicago maybe 8 or 9ish? Then to Indy around midnight? Would that miss most of the rush hour? It's not too bad in Green Bay is it?

Then Indy to Emerald Isle is 12 hrs, so get up and leave at 7 or so and you're there in the evening. That would be pretty good anyway, sometimes beach traffic on a Saturday right at check in time can be pretty bad.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 04:53
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Hitting Chicago at 4 am is a great idea.

What I do when I road trip is prepare a list of hotels ahead of time in various cities along the route. I look at prices, reviews, ease of freeway access, etc. That way when I get tired I have a plan of where I can stop. I often find I go further than planned, but if you hit some thunder storms or other issues it might be safer to stop sooner.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

That’s a really great idea, thanks!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Have you considered heading thru Kentucky? You could stop in Lexington, ky unless you wanted to push it to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge. Then take I-40 to pick up the coast and get to Emerald Isle.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina

Why would someone want to go out of their way into the mountains around Pigeon Forge when they are on a tight travel schedule? The purpose of this trip is obviously only to get to the destination, no time for sightseeing along the way.

I believe the route will take them through Kentucky, but they will only see it through the windshield.

Reply to: Road trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted