We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from New York to Orlando, Florida

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip from New York to Orlando, Florida

I am planning a road trip and driving from Newark Airport (EWA) to Oralndo in September and wondered if anyone knows how much the tolls are going to cost? I have found a list of tolls on the route totally about $28 but can you pay by card for these tolls....some of them say Express, no cash? what is the best way of paying for the tolls? I will be renting a SUV for my trip so any info/help on this would be great...thanks A.

3 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from New York to Orlando, Florida

Please can we have more info on your trip plan so we can offer the best help?

How long do you have? Certainly, if you are not in a hurry and are wanting a scenic road trip, then certain toll roads (and possibly even all toll roads) are avoidable if you are in no hurry, and depending on your route.

A car rented from EWR will likely have a transponder already fitted for payment of all tolls, whether cashless or those you can pay cash at the booths.

However, every different rental company has a different tolling pack and set up. Some charge quite a high daily fee, and irrespective of whether you used any tolls that day. So, for example, if you are only going to need to pay a toll on 1 day of the entire trip and that toll can be paid in cash, it will be cheaper to decline the tolling package and make sure the transponder is not activated, and pay at the toll booth. So you need to tell us who you've rented from?

Also, you need to check whether the transponder is compatible with Florida's cashless tolls. The tolls around NJ are are managed by E-ZPass, while those in Florida by SunPass, so they are not necessarily compatible.

SWT

conn
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from New York to Orlando, Florida

tolls depend on the route you take

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from New York to Orlando, Florida

Are you planning to do any sightseeing between New York and Orlando?

Since you are asking only about road tolls, it sounds like you just want to get from NY to Orlando by driving; if that is the case, please consider flying between NY and Orlando. Driving that distance is a journey of 1,780 km or 1,100 miles.

Reply to: Road trip from New York to Orlando, Florida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;