We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Brussels, Belgium
7 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Hi there! After starting in The Netherlands and making our way through Germany, we are planning a road trip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden (with a focus on the latter two) in August. Starting from the Denmark/German border, we have approx. 18 days to complete the trip. My initial idea would be to head north and take the ferry to Kristiansand, then drive to Bergen and cross the country to Stockholm. From there, we'll follow the coastline down to Copenhagen.

I was especially wondering if you guys had any ideas how to drive from Bergen to Stockholm –can't find any relevant itineraries for this part – and if there are any interesting sights along the route that should not be missed (we especially like beautiful raw nature). The same goes for the part from Stockholm to Copenhagen. As said, we are planning to follow the coastline, but I also read that the scenery can be a bit dull over there.

PS. We have a campervan at our disposal, so no need to book any rooms in advance. But any advice on how and where to camp along the route in these countries is of course very much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

First, let's address the campervan issue.

I never campervan in Europe, so I know about ver few of the rules that might apply to you for this. However, you do need to check if any of those 3 Scandi countries has any rules about stopping on the side of the road and sleeping/camping? Other European countries do, after all. By the same token, rough camping/boondocking is perfectly fine in some countries, as long as you have parked safely and do not cause any form of nuisance.

I cannot help, therefore, with where to stop in terms of suitable camp sites nor other info concerning us.

18 days is just about enough time for that kind of a trip, but there may be some slow driving days where you need to drive much of the day. Especially if you choose to hug the coast far more than taking direct routes. Of course coastal routes will be more scenic, but even slower.

Although I have visited and driven in those countries, have driven almost none of your route, apart from the direct route between Copenhagen/Malmo and Stockholm, which is not very exciting - flat, trees, lakes just a few towns, but there is 1 with a nice castle, cannot remember the name. If I have time and remember, I will look it up!

I know of no regular contributor to this forum who does travel that area to know the roads either. When we lived in Oslo some neighbours used to drive to Sweden to shop for food, drink and other stuff as it was cheaper, but they did not go all the way to Stockholm because it was apparently also a boring route and slow!

There are other TripAdvisor forums, however, that can help. And the folk who follow those forums will be mostly locals, so I suggest you ask again there. Here's a link to the Aarhus, Denmark forum as you will likely pass through that region of Denmark near the start of the trip. You should be able to figure out how to navigate to the other geographic forums from there.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189…

For route planning, use viamichelin.com/ rather than google maps as it's more accurate for most of Europe, plus, it gives toll, tunnell and ferry prices, and scenic route options to help.

Just a final comment. One thing that can be a pest in those areas with lots of water if you are camping close to a lake or river are mosquitos. Take repellent and make sure they do not get into the vehicle! Especially at sunset.

Have fun.

SWT

Brussels, Belgium
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Thanks SWT. As far as I know, camping is indeed free in Norway and Sweden as long as you don't camp in the vicinity of houses (main rules I guess is that you are not allowed to be seen from the houses).

Thanks for your advice on the geographical fora and for using the Michelin Guide instead of Google maps. I'll have a look. And we'll bring indeed lots of mosquito repellent. And mosquito nets.

Best, TJL

Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
49 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

We drove from Bergen to Oslo two years ago, which looks like a reasonable route to Stockholm and gives you the benefit of seeing that lovely city.

Bear in mind I am American who does not mind long drives. My advice for the Bergen to Olso part of the drive is pick the most interesting destinations in the area rather than trying to save a little time with the most direct route. It is an easy place to drive. We did not experience much traffic. Just about everywhere we drove was beautiful. You are usually driving on top of a mountain looking down at fjord, or along a fjord looking up at cliffs and waterfalls. Some routes require ferries that, while adding time, let you get out of the car and be on the water and enjoy those views even more. So an extra hour or 2 of driving won't seem like a bother.

Hiking on a glacier, which you can do in Folgefonna is a great experience. If you do it and have it in the budget, the small groups make it a lot more fun. We did the Trolltunga hike. Yes its becoming over run with tourists. But that's because it's such a unique spot and worth dealing with the crowds and the effort. We hiked near Geilo as well, which is a bit closer to Oslo.

The one stop to avoid is Voss. It is stunningly beautiful. But the cruise ships stop there, making the town itself crowded. If you have the benefit of a car, use it to avoid the cruise ship stops.

Enjoy.

Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
49 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

I meant Flam, not Voss, as the spot that can be crowded with cruise ship passengers.

Brussels, Belgium
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Thanks Darren,. Despite the fact that we're Dutch, we are more than used driving long distances ;). Thanks for your advice on the Glacier hikings and to avoid crowded places like Flann. We'll defintaly take that into account. I'll have try on the geographical fora to see which spots are recommended to visit en route to Sweden.

Best, TJL

Reply to: Roadtrip through Denmark, Norway and Sweden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted