We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 1, Maine to Georgia

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Topic
Route 1, Maine to Georgia

I would appreciate any recommendations to consider for an upcoming October road trip with my daughter (a new 3yo at the time of the trip.) My hope is to drive from Atlanta to Vermont with standard routes, and then return from Kennebunkport, Maine along Route 1 to the Carolinas. I am aware of the activities in Washington DC for a toddler. I am open to any ideas that can be enjoyable to a 3yo along the route. We are spending extra time in Washington DC, Boston, and Philadelphia. Also, what is the time frame to expect for Kennebunkport to the Carolinas utilizing Route 1. Yes, this is a long trip for a 3yo, and I realize she will not remember it. Life is short, and I try not to base all of my decisions on what is remembered.

Can you speak to Vermont vs Maine? The goal is the fall foliage, train ride for the fall foliage, quaint areas, etc. Museums may not be a top priority for a toddler. 😀

14 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

I would not do US-1 all the way; pick some spots where there are things you want to see and travel it that way.

US-1 through southern Maine into New Hampshire is non-scenic commercial areas, suburbia and traffic lights.

Portsmouth NH, Newburyport MA and Westerley RI would be worth a look heading south.

I would also avoid US-1 around NYC and NJ and through DC and the Virginia suburbs that serve DC.

Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
49 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

If passing through Ct after Boston, you best place to stop with a toddler will be Mystic, with the seaport and aquarium. Norwalk has an aquarium as well if that seems more convenient for you.

I would not bother with route 1 in most of Ct. The traffic on 95 is bad enough, Route 1 is just a typical suburban thoroughfare with even more traffic.

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

Very helpful. Thank you. I will check out Mystic.

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

So helpful. Thanks for the information about Route 1. Seems to be slower than I was expecting.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,997 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

The White Mts. area of NH is beautiful in the fall. It has a scenic RR, waterfalls, etc.

https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

Were I considering a road trip down old US 1, which presumably is intended to experience an historic drive like people drive Route 66, I'd consider Route 1 between Baltimore and Washington the premier part of the trip.

Route 1 coming out of Baltimore goes near the B&O Museum, the H L Mencken House, and the Babe Ruth Birthplace and museum. Along the way, there's Patapsco State Park and the B&O Railroad's Thomas Viaduct.

The B&O railroad was the country's first railroad built out of Baltimore and that viaduct is historic.

Then, near Washington, there's the campus of the University of Maryland. Then through the District, near the Capital, along the Mall and right pass the Washington Monument.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

OP FYI the White Mountain region, while lovely, is not on US-1 and would require a bit of a detour.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

Hwy 1 in NC is not very scenic either aside from going through Pinehurst. If it's fall foliage you're after I'd check out the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

Very helpful. Thanks. I am now confused why there is such an excitement about Route 1. 😀

Atlanta, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Route 1, Maine to Georgia

I really appreciate this. I have started looking at the Mt. Washington Cog Railway, and adding that to my list.

Reply to: Route 1, Maine to Georgia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;