We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

Cairns, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

Hello I’ve posted here a couple of times just trying to fine tune my plan. We are hiring a Campervan.

This is what our holiday looks like:

2 nights LA

LA to Morro Bay - 1 night

Morro Bay to Carmel (See Monterey Bay also) - 2 nights

Carmel to Potwisha Campground Sequoia NP - 1 night

Potwisha to somewhere 1/2 way to Vegas - 1 night (any suggestions?)

?? To Vegas - 4 nights

Vegas to Grand Canyon NP - 2 nights

GCNP to Sedona - 2 nights

Sedona to LA via SAN Diego Maybe? (3 nights spare to get back to LA from Sedona)

Then 3 nights in LA

Most of these nights are booked already.

But I’m concerned now if going to the Sequoia NP is a bit far out of the way if our main goal is to get to Vegas- just trying to fit in some beautiful scenery.

We are going early August from Australia and understand we are travelling at a very hot time, we will try make the most of it. (From a hot part of Australia)

I should have thought more about the time of year but I was just too excited to go!

Any suggestions are appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,287 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

Hi

"Morro Bay to Carmel (See Monterey Bay also) - 2 nights"

This would be detouring from the Central Coast to inland Hwy 101 and then back to the coast. Carmel is in the Monterey area. I assume your layover day will be spend exploring the Hwy 1 coast south of Monterey/Carmel.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,137 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

If I understood your current plan, after leaving Carmel, you have 2 nights before you reach Las Vegas, 1 of which is planned or booked for the Potishwa campground in SEKI and the other is not booked but desired to be somewhere between there and LV?

Yes, SEKI is not quite on a direct route between Carmel and LV, but it the park is worth visiting, so why ever not?!

I'd suggest you might enjoy a night in Death Valley national park, and if campgrounds suit you, then you have a choice of Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells, where there are cabin type rooms and other choices. There are others, but those are more primitive and don't have on site eateries, so you need to bring all your food with you and everything else as well.

If you have 3 nights to spare between Sedona and your last nights in LA, and wish to go to San Diego, then do so.

It's a bit of a drive between Sedona and SD, but it can still be done in a day. There are places to stop overnight on route, but none really worth stopping in for the place, so unless you really cannot face a longish drive, just plough on and get to SD.

Hope that helps.

SWT

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

You have reservations in Carmel?

After Sequoia you could stay in Kernville, maybe near the river? Many folks will instead go via Yosemite. A night in/near Yosemite Valley and a night in June/Mammoth Lakes-- but I think you'll have some challenges finding available Campgrounds.

There are some beautiful coastal Campgrounds in Southern California, but again finding summer availability may be a challenge. (Try San Onofre SB)

Edited: 09 June 2018, 04:46
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

Doing seki really isnt yhat much of a detour. For 1st night camp. Next night bakersfield.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

You can make it to Las Vegas from Sequoia in one day.

If I do break up the trip from San Francisco, I stay at the Best Western in Lancaster, Ca.

I stay there as nice newer BW, happy hour Monday - Thursday, good breakfast seven days a week.

Its close to movies, restaurants, things to do and is safer than some of the areas of Barstow.

I was there again this week and left around 10:00; had lunch at the Mad Greek at Primm, and was in Las Vegas checked in the resort i was staying at at 2;30.

Cairns, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I have two nights at a campground in Carmel.

I would go to Yosemite but could find no reservations and figured I’d go to somewhere else along the way and get some natural beauty in.

I plan to come back one day so next time 🙂

I was just worried it’s too far out of the way but if it seems feasible enough to do on the way to Vegas then that’s good.

A night though Death Valley would be extremely hot wouldn’t it?

Heard it’s worth the drive though

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ

Sequoia/Kings Canyon- you'll want to leave Carmel early and head straight to Grant Grove Kings Canyon, then the Giant Forest in Sequoia. And finally your Potwisha Campsite. (Parking may be a challenge, use shuttles in Giant Forest.)

Death Valley- yes hot! Wildrose Campground is at a higher elevation, so a bit cooler. Or look at Lone Pine- great views of Mt Whitney, but also pretty hot.

Another option- 2 nights in June/Mammoth Lakes area. (Check what Campgrounds have availability) Explore the lovely Eastern Sierra (Bodie Ghost Town, Mono Lake, June Lakes). And 'drive through' Yosemite, maybe visiting some highlights. (Yosemite Valley if you get an early start and find parking). Olmsted Point, Tuolumne Meadows.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 07:01
Reply to: Itinerary Advice CA, NV, AZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted