We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
464 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

Hello! so we will stay in Vancouver for 1 month and for our return trip we will lke to drive a different route of course. So this is my plan. It will September.

DAY 1 Vancouver-Missoula (1N)

DAY 2 Mss-Boise (1N)

DAY 3 Boise-Salt Lake City (1N)

DAY 4 SLC-Boulder (1N)

DAY 5 Bd-Kansas City (1N) or Oklahoma

DAY 6 Ks-Memphis (2N)

DAY 8 Mp-Tallahasse (1N)

DAY 9 Tss via Tampa stop for lunch & rest and continue to Miami

We have never been to any of this places. Thanks again for your time and help !

BBA

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:52
12 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,011 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

Instead of Boulder spend 2 nights in Estes Park and see Rocky mountain national park.

Boise to SLC is a short drive like 5 hours. I would drive toward CO.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

What are your interests? Are you looking for meaningful stops between these cities or just for activities in their vicinity? I ask because you are bypassing much beauty; in particular between Vancouver and Missoula.

North of Boise the Sawtooth Mountains are stunningly beautiful and would be far less crowded than many NPs.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

@PeachBelle8288 I will check on the sites you mentioned. Thanks,

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

@rjr0810 I’m more interest it in seeing how landscape changes from place to place and how diferent lifestyle each place offers. Thanks for your suggestions.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,028 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

so plotting Vancouver to Missoula on google map https://goo.gl/maps/JPhEEpaJN6K2

that shows 10 hrs of wheels turning and no stops +no indication of how long the border crossing will be. so this could be a 12-14 hr day. and there is only 13 hrs of daylight in Sept.

this is a sunrise sunset table https://goo.gl/maps/JPhEEpaJN6K2

I did not check any other destinations as that one might throw a loop in the rest of the plan unless you are early risers and like to drive a lot. )-:

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

You have given yourself no time to see lifestyle.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

The first day might make more sense if the OP is starting from Vancouver, WA. But why would one go to Missoula to get to Boise? And if one is going to Missoula, why would one go via Boise to get to Salt Lake City?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

@cbaarch I never though about the hours of light neither about the border, good points that I should take in account. We are early risers thanks to our dog! we don´t mind driving either. But again I need to arrive to an enjoyable road trip that doesn´t take forever . I really appreciate your help.

@DanP well that is why I´m posting and asking for your help. I´m lost and I really don´t know the area so I can´t understand which towns or cities I should stop except for the obvious..

@Ronw you are right I checked the distance on google and it does not make sense to go to Boise via Missoula, but again, I´m not chasing any particular destination, I want to arrive to an efficient and not exhausting road trip and to stop in places that are meaningful in same point. Our destination is Miami but we are from Argentina and this will be our first road trip thru NorthAmerica.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

BBA

Edited: 09 June 2018, 13:00
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,028 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

hi

this is an alternate route for Day 1 https://goo.gl/maps/6bYgBynxety

Highway #3 across to the Okanagan ( a wine region)

south to get to Coulee City where you will find scabland and coulees both amazing geological features

then south to Tri-Cities as that would be a long day.

The border crossing in Osoyoos should be faster then the Peach Arch in Vancouver. This will give you a section of mountain roads near Manning Park; an arid valley where there is over 100 wineries and orchards; a large hydro elec dam (not worth take the tour) but has great washrooom then a drive through the scablands and some deep coulees near Coulee city.

Day 2 i have this route which goes through Craters of the Moon and stopped it at Pocatello as that give you a good day but if you wanted to push one I have labelled Ogden and Salt Lake City https://goo.gl/maps/Lj6LfWj7AZM2

Day 3 I have a route that goes via Vail as there are ski resorts along that route. https://goo.gl/maps/Pvye4VfEjZ92

and that is as far as I am familiar with. If you get good weather on these days you may want to consider adding an extra day as there is that much to see and there are some interesting things (some even real nice) that it might slow you down a bit (-:

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami

Oh @cbaarch every route suggested sounds amazing, I will get into them and read about the different areas in order to make the better choice for.

Thanks also about the tip crossing border.

Your help has been invaluable for me.

BBA

Reply to: Road trip help planning from Vancouver to Miami
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;