We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Chicago

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Chicago

Hi travellers! I want to plan a 10-day road trip from Chicago with 2 kids (11 & 15). We'll be leaving late July, and we don't love the heat, so we're thinking of heading north, or northeast - but are completely open to any suggestions. I'd love to hear your ideas. Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Chicago

Some ideas:

The UP of Michigan; Taquamenon Falls State Park, the Shipwreck Museum, the Pictured Rocks boat ride, Kitch-iti-kipi spring and Porcupine Mountain State Park are some great spots there.

The North Shore of Lake Superior from Duluth MN to the Canadian border is a scenic, state park filled journey worth doing. You could follow the Mississippi River on the way there and make stops at places like National Eagle Center in Wabasha MN.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 09:59
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,515 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Chicago

Do you have passports? Would you be willing to head to Canada?

Just a different option.

SWT

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Chicago

Ten days is nice. You can have a ball. If you don’t want to get a passport and cross over in to Canada, I'd consider going over to the Mississippi, heading north maybe to Minneapolis and St. Paul; then continue north to Duluth, then following a bit of the Lakes Superior, Huron, and Michigan.

With this as the big picture route there are scores of options along the way.

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Chicago

Yes, we have passports. Canada is definitely an option.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:08
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Chicago

Then i highly recommend this:

https://superiorcircletour.com/

With 10 days, you can have a quality trip around the big lake.

Some of the most stunning scenery within 1000 miles from here.....

For a less stunning, but more beach and dune-oriented experience, consider this:

http://www.lakemichigancircletour.com/

If you do lake michigan, and you’ve never been, be sure to spend 1 or 2 nights in st joe, MI....

Also, this is awesome....along with stunning scenery AND great beaches:

https://explorethebruce.com/

I recommend all of these trips because i’ve done them all.....several times each....and all from chicago.....

For more info, see the “Suggestions for a Great Lakes road trip” sticky on the right side of this page.......

Edited: 10 June 2018, 02:28
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
367 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Chicago

Heading on a Lake Michigan loop would be my choice, so many beautiful places to choose from up there.

Reply to: Road trip from Chicago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted