We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Carolina to Niagra Falls

2 posts
Save Topic
North Carolina to Niagra Falls

We are going from NC to Hershey, PA in July for a couple of nights and then driving to Niagra Falls. Looking for places to go/stop on the drive back from Niagra Falls to NC. Considering NYC (which I know isn’t on the way). Any suggestions for other places that are on the way from Niagra Falls to NC without going to NYC? Or any suggestions for where to stay outside NYC to take train into city? We are traveling with 3 kids ages, 6, 11, and 16.

6 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: North Carolina to Niagra Falls

Yo niagara falls look at corning or elmira or watkins gken.

Dont bother with nc

For way back go through pittsburgh and cgarelston wv and cou l.j d stop at new tiver gorge.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Carolina to Niagra Falls

The Finger Lakes region (NY) would be great to check out on your way home. Corning has the excellent Corning Glass Museum, Watkins Glen has gorgeous Watkins Glen State Park and Ithaca has three gorgeous state parks as well (Buttermilk Falls, Taughannock Falls and Robert Treman). The Museum of the Earth, the Sciencenter and the Cayuga Nature Center are some other kid-friendly stops in Ithaca.

Closer to Niagara Falls and just west of the Finger Lakes is awesome Letchworth State Park ("Grand Canyon of the East").

East of the Finger Lakes near Binghamton is a nice animal park (Animal Adventure).

Edited: 10 June 2018, 04:41
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Carolina to Niagra Falls

I agree with visiting the Finger lakes region which is very near to Niagara. However if you wanted something different I would consider Washington DC instead of NYC. Lots of things to see & do there. If you sign up with your congressman you can get a behind the scenes tour of the Capital building and you can also request a White House tour but those are harder to get as those fill up quickly. You are probably too late to do that one. You can to register pretty far in advance but who knows.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Carolina to Niagra Falls

Not sure what route you are considering, but northern Ohio is a wonderful area to visit. Cedar Point Amusement park has been voted the #1 park in the world many times, there are wineries, lighthouses. an island accessible by ferry (Put-In-Bay), Amish area...plenty to do in that area.

We are bringing our grandkids, ages 10 and 15, to Niagara Falls later this month and we will be spending a few days in the Cedar Point area.

NC
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Carolina to Niagra Falls

We live in NC and have done this trip along with others trips up north many times. My first question is how long this trip will be? One week?

First, unless you just really want to go to NYC and do lots of planning on what you want to do there, I would skip it this time around. It is a good 7-8 hours from Niagara Falls to the city. That is an entire day of just driving.

I recommend the Finger Lakes region. Plenty of things there without the long drive to NYC.

Will you be visiting the amusement park in Hershey? If so, I probably would not also recommend Cedar Point. Two big parks like that in a week is too much for us, but some folks love it.

If you've never been to NYC before (sounds like you haven't), there is a lot of research and planning that goes into a trip there. For specific questions regarding hotels and taking the train into the city, post those on the NYC forum. I don't recommend staying outside the city and taking the train, only because you will waste too much time doing this. It's always better to stay in the city.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,098 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Carolina to Niagra Falls

Have a look at the Corning Museum of Glass, in Corning NY, off I-86.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g47538-d295…

http://www.cmog.org/

Best Regards

Reply to: North Carolina to Niagra Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted