We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Currently researching my 2020 road trip and have 4 days to get from Mexican Hat to Rockaway Beach. My main interest for this stretch is scenic driving, although I am open to any suggestions of interesting things to stop and see. Will be early to mid Sep

Thanks

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:55
7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,619 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

What is your overall itinerary so we don’t suggest places you may have been?

And why are you staying in Mexican Hat? How does that fit in your plan? There is very little there.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Hi, thanks for your reply.

We are flying in to LAX then heading to Mexican Hat via Las Vegas and Page. We then have the four days to get to Rockaway Beach where we are spending a few days before heading back down the coast via San Francisco to LA.

We stayed in Mexican Hat last year in one of the Yurts at the San Juan Inn and enjoyed the isolation!

We have never been to Oregon, Idaho and MH is the furthest north we have been in Utah and would love any scenic route suggestions.

Thanks

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
643 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Utah State Highway 12 (UT-12) gets rave reviews. I was unable to drive the road one October due to snow about four or five years ago. I don't think the snow was a lot, but I didn't want take any chances, so I missed out. I'm also planning on going back to Mexican Hat, mostly to enjoy a truly dark place in the US. After two nights, my plan is to take UT-261 to either UT-276 or UT-95. UT-276 has a ferry crossing, UT-95 has a bridge crossing. Eventually UT-276 connects with UT-95. Then you can take UT-95 to Hanksville, UT and hit UT-24. Take UT-24 to Torrey and hit UT-12.

If UT-12 is too far out of the way, check out https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways to see if anything is of interest to you. You could head north on the interstates or highways and check out some of the by-ways listed on that website.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Since you have been to UT before, I'll assume you don't need any advice for there.

The Sawtooth Mountains north of Boise ID, Hells Canyon (ID/OR border) and the Wallowa Mountain region (NE Oregon) are all worth working into your route.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 05:25
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,243 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

I suggest the 191 to I-70 West, to the US 50 ... Overnight in Delta UT. Next day visit attractions at Great basin NP & overnight in Ely NV.. Following day, the 50 to Reno. Continuing on the 395/ 139/39 to K falls OR. Next AM. visit Crater lake NP. devoting the PM to driving the 139/97/58/I-5 & 22 to the coast ... happy trails ... carracar

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Day 1 up 95 to Torrey to baker, no

Dat 2 Great Basin then to winnemucca

Day 3 to bend

Day 4 to beach

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon

Many thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

Reply to: Mexican Hat Utah to Rockaway Beach Oregon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted