We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip North America

1 post
Save Topic
Roadtrip North America

Hi I am going on a roadtrip with my boyfriend in August. We have already planned a lot of the journey but would appreciate any advice for one part. We are not sure where to visit when we travel down from Nashville to New oreleans. We have about 3 days to visit some places on the way down. Any help would be great thanks!!!

7 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,051 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip North America

Memphis, Vicksburg and Natchez get my vote.

Memphis has awesome music on Beale street, great BBQ, Graceland and Civil rights museum.

Vicksburg has Civil War battlefield site and great food.

Natchez has antebellum plantations.

All these places are right on the Mississippi river.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip North America

The Natchez Trace is a lovely drive. You could take it all the way from Nashville to Natchez and then come into New Orleans through Baton Rouge.

With 3 days, there are some great places to visit and explore in Mississippi. If you like music, especially Blues, Clarksdale is the place. Perhaps you'd like to visit Oxford, home of Ole Miss and onetime home of William Faulkner. There's Tupelo, the birthplace of Elvis Presley.

Vicksburg is an historic place of lovely mansions and a great Civil War battle.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,156 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip North America

Do you have any flexibility with your trip plan? Are reservations already made, or can things be cancelled.

Can you provide actual dates and info on the rest of the trip?

I'd say 3 days to get from Nashville to New Orleans is actually tight and you could use more nights to see the huge amount of stuff that there is to see/do/enjoy, but of course your trip may already have covered some of those.

Is this a one way trip? Have you sorted out the rental car? You do know there may be a one way drop fee. You do not need the car once you reach New Orleans, where it will be an expensive hindrance.

Where are you from? I notice a mention of Ole Miss, something that probably only an American would appreciate.

SWT

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip North America

SWT, Ole Miss is the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,156 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip North America

Oh, I know exactly what Ole Miss is as a regular to the USA, I even suggest there to some heading in that direction, when appropriate - but we do not know where the OP is from, so dropping the name in with no explanation might simply be puzzling! It's not exactly an obvious name for a college, is it? Nor obvious why that of all colleges, and that college town, might be of interest. Hence my comment!

SWT

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip North America

" Perhaps you'd like to visit Oxford, home of Ole Miss and onetime home of William Faulkner."

Well.

...not everyone.

College town, Oxford, is home to an odd, interesting, hardly unexpected, subculture of people there because -I guess - they know they belong there. No small number are writers making Oxford home, maybe because Faulkner did...grew up there...learned to speak and write those sentences, there...breathing that air and drinking that water - or bourbon - joined, as they are, by painters and musicians and no shortage of people who like writers or painters or musicians or maybe painters who write; and all of them, one imagines, had a map to Oxford imprinted on the back of their eyelids the day they were born.

Oxford's out of the way...and I don't suppose anyone go there...unless it isn't...in which case...one knows it isn't.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,051 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip North America

Oxford is a unique town which oozes southern culture. The town square has a great independent book store- Square books, great restaurants and historic cemeteries and homes close by. Rowan Oak which is Faulkner's home is there as well as Ole Miss. You have not seen football in the south until you go to the Grove on a fall Saturday and see miles of picnic tables piled high with food on fine china.

Reply to: Roadtrip North America
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;