We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Topic
Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

We are planning a trip for next summer (July 8 - 17, 2019) for our family of four which includes a 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter. We would like to arrive in Denver on July 8 and depart from Denver on the 17th to head home. I need help with an Itinerary that includes time in Denver (if possible), RMNP, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Can someone suggest an itinerary that works with that time frame? Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

Have done that trip a number of times and going to be tight to include everything imo.

July 8 fly into Denver early and head north possibly to Laramie,Casper or Cody

July 9 10 11 12 Yellowstone (usually need minimum of 3 full days and 4 nights as over 300 miles of roads)

July 13 14 Grand Tetons

July 15 full day of driving back to RMNP

July 16 RMNP

July 17 fly out of Denver

You could cut a day from Yellowstone and add it at end of trip to see Denver.

Still very rushed to see RMNP.

Can give you suggestions as to routes, lodging, etc if needed.

We were just in Yellowstone and Tetons and did RMNP last May.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

I would take a day from the Tetons and add it to RMNP in the post #1 suggested itinerary. I think you need all the post #1 suggested days for YNP.

Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

If I cut out RMNP, would We have enough time to enjoy and not feel rushed doing Denver, Tetons and Yellowstone? Thanks so much for the responses!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

If you only have 10 days and really wish to focus on the Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons area, I'd say flying to somewhere closer would give you max time there. Plus, certainly allow you not just to not feel rushed, but cover those 2 awesome parks extensively. If you want a bit of a break, then add some time doing Cody and what that little town has to offer, and maybe add the driving some stunning highways like Chief Joseph and the Beartooth. There are suitable airports at Jackson Hole, Bozeman and maybe Billings, plus seasonally West Yellowstone.

That would mean no Denver, so leave Denver for a different trip and cover the many national parks closer to Denver the next trip, including of course, RMNP.

Just a different option and my view.

SWT

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

Yes.

I would head first to Yellowstone, then Tetons/Jackson and back to Denver for some city time.

That way you get your major driving done while you are fresh.

If wanting to stay in the park in Yellowstone- split lodging between Old Faithful and Canyon area. Only book here-

https:/…

For out of the park look at splitting with West Yellowstone and Gardiner.

Lodging for 2019 opened up May 1 this year.

For the Tetons can stay in the park or in Jackson. We like Signal Mt. Lodge in Tetons and have stayed at about half dozen different hotels in Jackson.

Jackson also has a rodeo two or three times a week in the summer months.

A scenic float trip on the Snake River is great for scenery and wildlife while in the Tetons.

Beware if flying into Denver that it takes extra time because the rental car facility is off site and you use a shuttle system.

Once you start to build a trip plan please come back and let us help fill in suggestions.

Also think about flying in and out of SLC if only doing Yellowstone and the Tetons, etc. It is a lot closer and will require less driving.

Save Denver and RMNP for another time like SWT suggests.

Let us know if other questions.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:39
Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

These are some great ideas! Thanks so much for the advice. I have lots to think about!!!

Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

Could you suggest an itinerary for flying into Salt Lake City to spend time in Tetons and Yellowstone? Would 10 days be adequate time? Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

Here is a sample trip plan-

Day 1 Fly into SLC and drive to north of town, Idaho Falls or West Yellowstone depending on flight time. It is a 5.5 hour drive to West Yellowstone at West entrance to Yellowstone.

Day 2 3 4 5- Yellowstone

Day 6 7 8- Grand Tetons

Day 9 - drive back to SLC

Day 10 - fly home

Or if want to add a night in Cody for Buffalo Bill museums and rodeo-

Day 1 Fly into SLC

Day 2 3- Yellowstone

Day 4- Cody

Day 5 6- Yellowstone

Day 7 8- Grand Tetons

Day 9 - morning in Jackson, drive back to SLC

Day 10- fly home

Let us know if other questions!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days

Good route options from PB.

Of course, depending on flight times into and back from SLC, you could squeeze a bit more time in the area, as you'd probably only overnight in SLC because of flight times.

SWT

Reply to: Denver to Yellowstone - 10 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted