We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week road trip suggestions?

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Topic
3 week road trip suggestions?

We have July 10-29 available to do a road trip next month, leaving from St. Louis. Any suggestions for a last minute plan? We are pretty open as to where we can go! We have three kiddos ages 9-11. We love to hike, see national parks, spend time at beaches/rivers/waterfalls. We also love cities and museums. We won’t bother with amusement parks. I’m thinking somewhere that won’t be blistering hot... We’re not afraid to drive :) We’ve driven to Maine and down the east coast from here. We’ve also already done Rushmore/ Badlands and Cuyahoga. 8 hour days are usually the max for driving. We love to camp and would like to do a trip as economical as possible. Thanks for any ideas!

7 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,024 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

Kentucky and TN

KY horse park, Mammoth cave NP, Lincoln birthplace NP, Great Smoky mountains national park with tubing in Townsend, waterfalls and wildlife.

You could add in Nashville, TN.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

Denver or Colorado Springs is a two day drive from St. Louis. If you like to hike, want to escape blistering heat, like national parks and museums, you could do worse than visit Colorado - although admittedly its serious rift of beaches. Two days getting out there, two day getting home, leaves you sixteen days in Colorado and maybe Northern New Mexico.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,024 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

Terrible fires in SW CO and northern NM right now.

Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
49 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

If you don't mind driving, how about Montreal and Mt. Tremblant? You could also see Niagara Falls and Toronto along the way. You would need a stop or 2 in the US Midwest - maybe Cedar Point Amusement Park in Oho.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

UP of Michigan? We made a loop, coming back to SE Iowa through IL. Made stops and went clear north to Copper Harbor, Fort Wilkins, and went across to Pictured Rocks, Sault Ste Marie, down to Sleeping Bear Dunes, down along Lake Michigan. Saw waterfalls, beaches, sand dunes, camped some and motels some.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,335 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

You could incorporate the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota (Duluth to Canadian border), Apostle Islands, Wisconsin Dells and Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin and/or Mackinac Islands/Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan into the excellent UP of Michigan suggestion.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 week road trip suggestions?

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have always wanted to visit CO....I'll have to look into the fires :(

I've considered KY too.....just thinking it might be pretty hot??

I'm seriously thinking about UP Michigan and surrounding areas. I want to look into Isle Royal NP....not sure if its feasible on this short notice?

Thanks again!!

Reply to: 3 week road trip suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;