We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer family road trip NH to DC

2 posts
Save Topic
Summer family road trip NH to DC

Hi, I'm looking for any helpful tips and suggestions for best driving routes to take from Southern NH (Nashua area) to Washington DC. We will be heading out on a Saturday in July probably early morning, 4ish? I appreciate any helpful advice anyone may be able to offer.thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer family road trip NH to DC

Are you looking for the fastest route or do you want stops/overnights along the way? If the latter, how long do you have and what are your interests?

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer family road trip NH to DC

Fastest, we have a reservation in Alexandria for Saturday. We will fit in a couple of short rest stops but otherwise we just want to get there.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer family road trip NH to DC

I’d just go 84 to 81 to 83 to Baltimore then to 95 and Alexandria.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer family road trip NH to DC

An early start is good. Here's the route I have taken:

rte 3 to I-495 to I290 to I90 west to I84 west. Stay on I 84 to I684, then cross the Hudson on the Tappan Zee and take I-287 to the NJ Turnpike (don't stay on I-95 which goes into Philadelphia). Use I-295 across into Delaware, then I-95 south to Baltimore - Baltimore can be tricky with traffic, but if you get there midday, you can breeze through it without taking the long ring road around. Take the I-895 tunnel to route 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway, which will lead you right to the east side of the city, so depending on where in the city you are going, take the correct road in from there.

Reply to: Summer family road trip NH to DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted