We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GREAT Smokey Mountains

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
GREAT Smokey Mountains

Hello, I’m traveling from New Orleans to Boston in September, I have 3 nights to use for the GSMNP, I have one night planned in Gatlinburg and a night planned for Asheville. I was hoping for a little guidance on activities and stop between Gatlinburg and Asheville for the night, or if it would be better to have 2 nights in Gatlinburg instead. Thanks

Morgan

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,040 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GREAT Smokey Mountains

2 nights in Gatlinburg or Townsend then drive thru park on highway 441 to Asheville.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GREAT Smokey Mountains

There is a Gatlinburg and a Great Smoky Mountains national park forum. There are lots of great posts already there on things to see and do. I would spend 2 nights in Gatlinburg if seeing the park is your main objective. Most of the driving tours like Cades Cove are on the north side of the park. However if doing the middle of September you will want to avoid Pigeon Forge which is another small town where all the shows are. There are 2 back to back car shows the 2nd and 3rd weekends which clog up traffic there. Stick with Gatlinburg and visiting the park or go to PF in the very early AM.

Sachse, Texas
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
753 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GREAT Smokey Mountains

Hi,

You could drive on Blue Ridge Parkway. The Waterrock Knob Visitor Center offers good views of the mountains.

Reply to: GREAT Smokey Mountains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;