We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

North East England...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

Hi, i'm in the very early stages of planning a road trip for next summer (2019) in early August. We, (me and my girlfriend, mid 30's, from UK) are going to spend 5 days around Yellowstone and hopefully take in a music festival close to Denver, which finishes on a sunday morning. We then intend to spend Sunday - Thursday driving to New Orleans (1300 miles) over 5 days/4 nights.

1) does this sound excessive distance/time wise? we don't mind doing a couple of 8/9 drives

2) which route would be the best to take, taking into account some good places to lay over for a couple of days/nights?

we would probably prefer a lay over in a city as we would have been camping for 5 days previous to this, but are open to any suggestions of alternative or interesting, cool places to visit and stay along the way to new orleans.

any help is greatly appreciated, still in the very early planning stages, probably will be back on the forum with a million more questions as planning progresses.

Cheers!

28 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
823 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

Hi,

You could stop at Fort Worth or Dallas. Houston is a good detour. There are good attractions in DFW and Houston.

You take the route via Amarillo and Wichita Falls.

North East England...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

thanks for that, i think that is pretty much the route that googles suggests.

out of Dallas and Fort Worth, which would be your preferable choice for a fun few days? we generally like theatre, art galleries, live music, drinking and mixing with locals..

cheers for the advice

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

With five days driving and four nights on the road, if as you say you don't mind driving a couple 8 / 9 hour days, if you like some cool places to stay, I'd visit Austin and San Antonio.

Were it my trip, I'd overnight in Amarillo, then two nights in Austin, one in San Antonio and then on to New Orleans.

This makes the entire trip 23 1/2 hours wheels rolling time, according to Google Maps. It adds 3 1/4 hours to the entire trip. Remember wheels rolling time is less than drive time. Figure about 1.25 to 1.3 times wheels rolling time for normal drive time.

Denver to Amarillo, then Ft Worth and Dallas, allocating those nights as you might, and then one day to New Orleans is practical. There's plenty to do and see in Ft. Worth and Dallas.

Be that as it may, I find Austin and San Antonio more entertaining and interesting.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,445 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

I agree Austin and San Antonio!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,617 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

Actually, I think you might be better served if you were to let us have the entire trip plan.

You start by telling us you travel from Denver to New Orleans, and then throw in that you are actually going to Yellowstone.

Perhaps we need to know how that plan works out before you commit yourself to things like flights, lodging and other issues.

As I see it, you have 2 separate kinds of trip here, and you just might be better off modifying that approach rather than trying to add lots of long drives.

Where does the trip start? Denver? If so, how many nights have you allowed from getting from there to Yellowstone and back? And what other stops, if any.

Then after blasting from Denver to New Orleans, how long have you there to be worth that long drive?

SWT

North East England...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

thanks for the replies... i'll add a little bit more info...

we are flying into Bozeman after visiting friends in Toronto. not for any particular reason other than i've always wanted to see Yellowstone / Grand Teton. we also really want to go to a music festival in the states as we go to quite a few in the UK and won't get the time/money next year, so we thought to incorporate it into our trip. the one that fits the bill for us is close to Denver, at Loveland, Colorado.

my girlfriend has always dreamed of going to New Orleans, so that was the next thing to incorporate.

we plan to spend 3 or 4 days in new orleans before driving to Jacksonville Florida to visit friends for a few days. we have 8 days to split between New Orleans and Jacksonville so can spend split that how we want. was thinking 3 days New orleans, drive across, and 4 days in Florida

so the only bit we didnt know what to do with was the 4/5 days between colorado and new orleans.

theres a part of me that still thinks that this might be too much driving, and to just ditch the car at denver and fly the rest

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,445 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

Some great southern sites you could do between NOLA and Jacksonville if you decide to fly from Denver.

Check Southwest airlines only on web for good one way air fare.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

Consider flying from Denver to New Orleans.

At New Orleans, as if there were not enough to fascinate and relish for weeks, you could rent a car and make an interesting circle tour of music, food, history, and scenery locales. The cost would probably be less than the drive from Denver down.

North East England...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

that is something i am certainly considering. i don't want to drive just for driving sake. i quite enjoy long drives but it would be a much better use of our trip if we were passing by interesting places, dropping into cool towns or camping spots, visiting worthwhile areas etc... i'm not saying for one minute that the drive from denver to new orleans would be boring or anything (i really dont know hence the thread)

if we flew that section then it would A) give us more time in New Orleans, B) mean we wouldnt need to park a car for those days in NO and C) give us a chance to explore the route to jacksonville, if like you say there is some good things along the way

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,617 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please

You still have not said how long you have for that seriously complicated trip plan, where the distances between each separate part is absolutely huge.

Finding a rental car in Bozeman that you can drop off in New Orleans or Jacksonville is going to be a miracle, too, even if you can afford the hefty one way fee.

I think some more thought is needed. As said above, some domestic flights will avoid rushed or unnecessary driving and allow more time in the stops that matter to you.

This is some very ambitious and complicated trip, so I'm really glad it's over a year away. You have a lot of researching and planning to do to make it happen to your liking.

SWT

Reply to: Denver - New Orleans - itinerary advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted