We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 66

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Route 66

Planning on doing Route 66 soon and just wanted opinions of those that have done it before. Should I prebook motels/hotels or would I be able to book them on the day.

Planning on booking wigwam motel and Grand Canyon as I know these can get booked up but for the other 18 days I'd like the freedom to just stop where we want and not have to make sure we are in a certain place each day. Any other advice on best places to see along the route would be great.

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,643 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 66

What time of year?

How long for the trip?

Where were you planning on stopping.

In general, I'd book ahead to be sure, but answers to that question would help us appreciate whether you ought to reserve ahead or whether it's more a personal choice decision.

Also, where are you from and what do you know about one way car rentals and car choices for this kind of a trip?

SWT

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
823 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 66

Hi,

I would prebook hotels with free cancellation.

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 66

My original plan was to start in Chicago but looking at car rentals it's much cheaper to start la and work east to Chicago, our plan was to do 2 nights la, 1 night wigwam motel, 2 vegas, 1 Grand Canyon (all booked before traveling) and then just head along Route 66 stopping at random places along the route.

I'm from the uk and yes I do know a little about one way car rentals, thinking about doing the trip in a midsize suv. Trip will be the start of September.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 02:16
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,643 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 66

Yes, you are correct, a 'reverse' R66 is always cheaper from the car rental point of view.

So the trip starts in September - any random date, or a specific one? And when does it end?

In general - but local events I may have no clue about could impact that - from LA to Oklahoma City, you really must book ahead, everywhere. Especially for the tiny, iconic motels like Blue Swallow or any of the WigWams. Beyond there, it's would be easier to book as you go, provided you have some sort of a back up.

Book Chicago, too, of course.

SWT

North East England...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 66

off topic, but why is the car rental cheaper going west>east?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,643 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 66

I have no real idea, but a guess would be that far more tourists, including foreign tourists rent out of California, and especially LA area, so more competition.

Lots rent in Chicago, too, of course. But more of the business would be work related, short rentals with few miles driven.

SWT

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 66

Okay, so you're booking the key locations ahead of time....LA, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon. Good plan. Which Wigwam? In San Bernardino or in Holbrook? Or both?

Other than that, we would not book ahead and just take our chances, or at best book one day ahead, i.e. book tonight for tomorrow night if we know exactly where we want to end up. If you're not fussy about where you're staying, you should have no problems getting *something*, at minimum of the "clean sheets and hot water" variety. When we travel along Route 66 we tend to seek out the older hotels with old neon lights, e.g. Blue Swallow in Tucumcari NM, Desert Hills in Tulsa OK, or Wagon Wheel in Cuba MO. Typically no frills, but clean.

Also check out the Jerry McClanahan Route 66 EZ66 Guide.

Enjoy the Mother Road.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route 66

We did the route from Chicago in 2013 with one way car hire (flights into Chicago made it a better option than flying to LA). There is a full report of our trip on TA to tips trip reports for R66 (top right hand column).

Any questions just ask

Reply to: Route 66
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted