We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe road trip

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Europe road trip

Hi

My husband and I are planning a road trip from the UK through France switerland Italy and sicly. Then island hop to Sardina and Corsica. Then over to Nice and back through France to the uk. We are taking my car and have 6-8 weeks next April and May to do it. I'm looking for any advice I can get especially with suggested routes. I did think Calais to Reims then Colman. Then Lucerne to interlarken (especially want to go there) then to lake como Milan lake Garda and Verona and Venice. Then I'm stuck! Any help is appreciated.

2 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe road trip

What you have in mind is reasonable in 8 weeks, far less so with just 6.

Will you existing car insurance, and separately, your break down insurance, allow you to be away for so long? And are there any restrictions on countries or international ferries? Please do check.

Have you ever driven in continental Europe before?

What research have you already done, or know about, regarding all the different rules of the road, speed limits, safety kit requirements for all those countries? What do you know about such things as toll roads, vignettes, ZTLs and a few towns in France with smog restrictions? That and more should be your homework, if you have no clue.

Regarding your route - I assume you mean that's the direction you will set out, but plan to stop more than 1 night in some of those places you name to visit them, rather than just drive on through.

I'm happy to offer a route plan, except I've never used island hopped with a car like you plan to do. However in order to do so, you need to explain your travel style, why those places, what you like to do when you stop and what kind of places you like to stop in. Otherwise, it would be my wish list, not yours.

Separately, road tripping around Europe is a great thing to do. However, it's far, far more enjoyable if you choose mostly rural areas and small towns. You list some large cities, notably in Italy, and they are not good choices with a car, not just because of the ZTL issue.

SWT

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe road trip

Take the Ancona -Split car ferry and continue in the Balkans...

Reply to: Europe road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted