We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breckenridge to Phoenix

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Breckenridge to Phoenix

Looking for suggestions, want to make this trip in 1 day but want to take in some sights along the way. Looking at google maps looks like we could take I-70 out of the Rockies and head toward 191 down through Moab hoping to catch the gimplse of some arches. from there it looks like we can drive through monument valley and see some of the highlights from the road before heading down through Flagstaff to Arizona.

Question for anyone who has made this drive before, any tips on sights to see along the way, has anyone done this trip in a single day, if you can share your experiences....

Also it looks like Grand Canyon Desert view is not to far off the path, is it asking to much to add this in? assuming we get an early start. Thx

3 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Breckenridge to Phoenix

You can barely do Breckinridge to phoenix in one day...it’s at keast 12 hrs wheels turning then add in stops fir fuel and food then you are looking at 14 hours at least without any stops to see stuff by driving 79 to miaab to fkagstaff to Phoenix.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,160 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breckenridge to Phoenix

It's a two day drive ... South on the 9 over Hoosier Pass, to Fairplay. There, drive the scenic 285 to Santa Fe, for the night. Following AM. I-25 to Albuquerque & the I-40 West to Holbrook AZ. Where one follows the 377/260/87 South, into the Phoenix Metro ... Happy trails ... carracar

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breckenridge to Phoenix

THanks for the feedback, yeah i know it will be a long haul, with quick stops it's probably like a 15 hour drive, if we hit the road at 7:30 figure we should be able to make it to Moab by noon, restock the car and make the run down through monument valley say by 5:30?? leaving about 4 hours more of driving to get in around 10pm (9 with the time zone local time?

Made the Houston to Orlando run straight before and that was a tad longer but all interstate 10, knowing it will be a long day and these roads look smaller has anyone done this? would this be the best route if we did want to do a 1 day sprint and just see what ever sights we can from the car? Any thing to watch out for? yes will have two drivers so not a solo mission

Reply to: Breckenridge to Phoenix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted