We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights road trip from Boston

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
90 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights road trip from Boston

We will be in Boston for 4 nights and then we will rent a car and drive around for 6 nights. We will then return the car to Boston and take a train to NYC where we will stay for 4 nights.

We would like get some suggestions for our road trip from Boston. We would like to stay in 2 max 3 small towns. We would like to relax between these citybreaks but still we would like to be in lively places since we enjoy cafes, dining, live music, people watching etc. I know we are quite late with our plans for July but I would appreciate any suggestions for routes or itinerary. I am kind of interested in Cape Cod, Bar Harbor but other lively towns in coast or pictoresque area would be nice as well.

Thank you.

4 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights road trip from Boston

You will do much better to post your query in the 'New England' section of these forums, as you're not really doing a road trip.

Small towns and 'live music, people watching' don't really go hand in hand in New England. For a lively time, look at Portsmouth, NH or Portland Maine as options. Bar Harbor is not a 'lively place' at night at all, people go for the hiking, the breathtaking view from Cadillac Mountain, etc. Note that it's also a 5-6 hour drive to Bar Harbor from Boston, so driving time would eat into almost 2 full days of your trip.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights road trip from Boston

Consider Portsmouth NH, Portland ME and Camden ME.

Acadia is the top spot in New England IMO but it doesn't make a good fit with your stated interests.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 04:38
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
90 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights road trip from Boston

Thanks. I will make new plans just book few more nights in Boston and New York. And then few nights in to Cape Cod.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights road trip from Boston

There's no need to add time in the cities unless you want to.

With late planning, the issue is not where you want to go - but that does come into it, somewhat - it's also where there is availability in areas with a short summer season and lots of demand - rather like some of southern Finland!

Bar Harbor is the least likely to work - and while it will be busy, does not fit with your desire for somewhere lively. Despite the crowds, the place shuts up by 9 pm! Cape Cod in general will be livelier, notably Provincetown. You could add time on one of the islands, again depending on availability and budget, and that would fill your 6 nights nicely. To get around some of Cape Cod and on the islands, consider renting bikes, too.

As said, as I don't know the lodging issues with short notice, it would be best to post on the local destination forums for ideas, before deciding to add more time in cities - unless that's what you want.

SWT

Reply to: 6 nights road trip from Boston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted