We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV from DC to Central Florida and back

6 posts
Save Topic
RV from DC to Central Florida and back

We are renting an RV to travel, round-trip, from home (DC) to Central Florida for a wedding, where we'll stay for about four days in June-July. Then, return. We are somewhat open and flexible with our trip, looking to take 8-14 days (we envision taking 2-3 days to get to Central FL, but that is just a starting idea...)

Factors: two kids (2.5 yr, 0.5 yr), two adults.

9 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

Shenandoah NP and Great Smoky NP would be places to consider.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

From DC take Hwy I-81 unless you want to drive Skyline Drive. Boone / Blowing Rock is a good stop and I would look at heading over to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains national park. From there it can be a 10 hour drive to Orlando if you wanted a straight thru, Not sure where in Florida you are going but thats a general time frame. Or normally I would recommend the route thru Hwy 44 in the park to Charleston or Savannah and then on to Florida.

However with an RV I dont know if want to do all this mountain driving. If that is the case you might want to stick to a coastal route. Charleston, SC and Savannah, Ga are both great historical cities to visit.

Keep in mind the RV is you car for everything. You have to find parking, some cities are not good to get around in an RV. Also kids must be in seat belts while driving at all times.

You will have to find a campground, level the camper, hook up water, sewer and electric, then disconnect every time you want to go somewhere. They do usually have a holding tank for water and sewer but they only hold so much then you have to fill / empty them. Its really not a good way to travel. RV's are mostly for going somewhere and staying a couple weeks at a time. But maybe you have done this before and are used to it. Just throwing that out there as many find RV travel more difficult than they imagined.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

Unless you have someone who is going to ferry you all around in Florida, reconsider the RV - you will be packing the camper up every morning to head to the wedding activities or whatever else you have planned.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

Thanks- any specific recommendations along that route? We were thinking, because we actually live in Gainesville, VA, that we'd do the areas NOT close to us-- the parts of Shenandoah that we just couldn't do in a day-trip with little kids.

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

Thanks- great suggestions!

You raised some important considerations-- I think it would be wise to travel the coast first, so I can get more RV driving experience before tackling narrow mountain roads (though I hear East Coast mountain roads are wider and tamer than in my beloved Rockies). I ended up with a Class A, 32 ft. I had hoped for a Class C, but many were not options for us, either due to strict generator use, mileage, and most frustratingly, several did not have passenger options for forward-facing seats. So the Class A hit all of our wants (solar, unlimited generator, very low mileage overage cost, great rate, forward facing seating) and I went for it. I have some experience with larger vehicles (childhood farm, several cross-country trips in a fully-loaded larger moving truck with my SUV on a full-tow behind it) and feel comfortable in most anything I drive after a few minutes...but the Class A looks like you are very high, right at the window...it will be a different experience for sure!

Yes, we are stopping at about Orlando (Sumter County, right in the center of the state). We have family that will lend their second vehicle while we are parked there, but will have to taxi/uber from other points on the trip. I'm hoping this well-traveled tour area will accommodate our needs. Thanks!

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

We do have family that will lend us their spare car for the duration we stay in central FL. But that will only be about 4-5 days. The rest of the trip (there and back) will be just the RV. A BIG RV (Class A) so I'm going to have to think this out in terms of taxi/getting to venues on foot with a stroller (a really good, sturdy one that holds two kids). At least we'll get a chance to stretch our legs, lol.

NC
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

I'm more curious why you would rent an RV for a coastal trip down to central FL? Orlando is the last place I would want to try and navigate an RV through.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,525 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

Many campgrounds are outside of the cities, with no public transportation to town and too far to walk.

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RV from DC to Central Florida and back

Not really orlando, just a very, very small rural town near it. They have great "Resort" RV parks there, haha...right there in the middle of the pasture!

Reply to: RV from DC to Central Florida and back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted