We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day Road Trip!

13 posts
Save Topic
8 day Road Trip!

Hello,

Mother and I are planning to do a road trip before I start a new job in NYC. She only desires to see the Niagara Falls but I thought I could make a better itirinerary out of it. The only musts of this trip is seeing the Niagara Falls and ending the trip in NJ, since dropping the rental vehicle here is cheaper than in NY. I’m welcome to any suggestions or changes, were also open to flying into any other airport or start the road trip from other place. Thank you!

1.Arrive in Providence, rent a car. Visit new port Rhode Island. Spend the first night around here.

2.Drive to Boston. Second night here

3.Boston. Third night here.

4. Morning drive from Boston to White mountains. Spend the fourth night around the mountains.

5.Morning drive to Niagara Falls, stop at at Albany on the way there. Arriving at night so we would spend the night in the Canada side most likely. 5th night.

6.Niagara Falls all day. 6th night.

7.Start drive to NJ (must go here). Stop at corny, visit the corny museum of glass. Spend last night here.

8. Finish drive to New Jersey and end of the trip.

7 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

'Corny' - that would be Corning.

White Mountains to Niagara Falls is going to be a 9-10 hour drive. Not sure why you want to stop in Albany, despite it being the state capitol, it's not really a tourist destination.

When is this trip? Note that lodging could be an issue in some places at certain times, and parking a car in Boston is very expensive.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,064 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

Also, many of the attractions at Niagara Falls (including Maid of the Mist) close down from about October to April depending on the weather.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,339 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

Maid of the Mist operates into November.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

Arrive in Providence... where are you coming from? Are you flying into providence or do you live in New England? If you are flying and haven’t booked your flight get it would make more sense to fly in somewhere else bc you are doing a lot of long days of driving just to see the Falls.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,064 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

According to the current info on their web site the Maid of the Mist's final tour is November 4.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,227 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Best Regards

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,241 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 day Road Trip!

Where do you fly from? That would help with knowing if there's a more suitable or practical airport.

Your plan is a lot of driving with little time to enjoy places, and short changes almost everywhere. Unless you and your mother have a great appreciation of tarmac, I don't think this is going to offer a plan that does much other than tick off a lot of destinations is a very cursory manner.

SWT

Reply to: 8 day Road Trip!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted