We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

Hello All.

Planning to drive from Vancouver, BC to New York next week, and looking to get through the drive as fast as possible - however, I'd definitely like to make it enjoyable and as scenic as possible. I'm also a Photographer, so some interesting areas to enjoy a few snapshots would be aces.

I'm looking to get through the drive within 4 days. I haven't been through any most of the areas that are on route (Montana, North Dakota, Illinois, Ohio, etc) So, I'm not sure what stops are best and what stops/cities I should steer clear from! Your knowledge and help is much needed and appreciated!

Cities to stop, rest, hotels (those more important), but also restaurants, photogenic spots etc!

Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

You will have no time to see anything other than whats outside the car windows.

Youd drive 90 and 80

Day 1 to missoula or butte

Day 2 to rapid city

Day 3 to chicago

Day 4 to nyc

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

I agree with #1 about you not having any real time to see/do things. According to Google maps, this drive is about 46 hours of pure wheel turning time; so it will be more due to gas/food stops, construction, traffic, etc. For the sake of my illustration, let's just bump the driving time by about 10% to 50 hours (which is probably low as it's only about an hour a day). Furthermore, that's based on the shortest route without any detours/side trips. Spending even 30 minutes to get off the highway to: your hotel, a scenic spot, a good restaurant, etc; will add at least an hour each time you do one of these (30 minutes to get there & 30 minutes to get back + the time you spend at the "destination").

With 4 days to do the drive that means you're talking 12 to 13 hours of driving each day, not something I would look forward to; plus you'll probably have to adjust this somewhat (shifting hours from day A to day B) as your options of where to stop on the western part of the drive will be somewhat limited. Sure, that means you'll end up with a shorter drive on one day, but it will be a longer drive on another; this could push your longer days into the 15 hour range.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

Your trip is 3,000 miles, that's 750 miles day!! Not safe, and certainly no time for photos. A long haul truck driver has 600 miles a day, maximum -- and he's a pro,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,537 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

I once knew a kid who got from Vancouver to Toronto in four days. That is an 'eat where you fill your car and only pee when you fill with fuel' kind of trip. Brutal. Doable, but brutal and exhausting. 14 hours behind the wheel every day. You take the shortest, fastest possible route and limit your stops to no more than 30 minutes.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

I love writers who know just the right word.

Brutal. ,

What a word. If you want brutal, if you are... like...wondering exactly what means the word: brutal, if you'd like to really nail the concept...here's an idea...drive from Vancouver to NYC in four days. You'll go to your reward, hopefully not in the course of one of those four days, never forgetting just how brutal, brutal can be.

It's not 750 driving miles in one day. Any old masochist knows drving 750 miles in a single day - eats worse for breakfast. No. It's doing it, and then getting up and doing it again - oh - and then doing it again...and now you got the idea...one more time...doing it again.

You'll be rolling by sunrise. If you want to do this, you better. Wait until you get a taste driving right in to the sunrise, in morning rush with other people who can't see any better where they are going than can you, but they know where they are going becuase they live there, but you don't.

That's always fun.

Then, wait when you realize, not only will you be wheels rolling more than 11 hours each day, which turns out to be something like 15 hours on the road considering having to refuel, and red lights, and accidents, and needing to take a leak - or maybe twelve seeing how you are gulping gallons of java just to stay awake - not not just that, wait until you realize you lose an hour on the clock driving east, three different times - just to be sure you really get the full "life can suck" experience.

This is not Jack Kerouac.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

Hahaha SFCityGuy, you're great.

Thank you all for your input, love it.

Yes, I'm aware there would be no time to actually stop and experience anything. There's no way.

Was just curious if there are more scenic routes that are more visually enjoyable than others ... for instance, "taking this path, you might drive past some famous old castle blah blah" or "you'll see a wall made with a bunch of smashed cars" - random passing things like that... But as I mention, not important.

More interested in the city stops, hotel, route recommendations!

Also yes, there will be quite a bit of driving, and we have room to push it a day if we're beat. But rather just get there.

Cheers!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

Yaking non interstates cant be done in 4 days.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

Sfcityguy...

Great post. Fun (even though it’s a ‘solid’ message in ‘brutal’!)

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

SFCityGuy, too funny ... and the cherry on top of Brutal is driving into NYC at the end :).

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY

to figure out stops for hotels:just before you get at the end of your limit for driving that day start looking around for a place. make sure you get a US plan for your phone so you can use data to find out was is close by.

gasbuddy app for gas stations when you get low and see if there is a choice for prices; unlike in Canada there are not all the same price within an hour of someone changing it. Some have better prices for cash sales.

google sunset-sunrise to get the times and try to get up and on the road at dawn and go to dusk; try to avoid driving at night.

get a good playlist as some areas have lousy radio.

Reply to: DRIVING: Vancouver, BC to New York, NY
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted