We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

My family and I are debating on which trip to take. We have a 12 year old and 9 year old. We want to see Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, RMNP, spend some time at a ski resort during the summer, and possibly a day in Denver. I have been advised to divide these into 2 separate trips, which I appreciate, by flying into SLC and doing Yellowstone/Tetons or flying to Denver for possible Vail or Breck and combining with RMNP. Which would be a better trip with 8 days? We love sightseeing, all outdoor activities, but also enjoy resort time/relaxation. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

11 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

I would do the Tetons and Yellowstone and stay at a ski resort around Jackson while at the Tetons.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

I'd pick Yellowstone and the Tetons too.

Sachse, Texas
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
819 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

Hi,

I also recommend SLC, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons. SLC has good attractions such as Temple Square.

You could book hotel in Yellowstone months in advance.

I booked a cabin in Yellowstone 11 months in advance years ago. I suggest Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone. Jackson Hole is a beautiful town.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

When is the trip? Lodging may be the biggest problem for a YNP/GTNP trip if you are looking at this summer.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

depends- do you enjoy hiking? If so, RMNP is awesome for that. Either area will make for some nice temps in the summer. Lots of wildlife in RMNP in addition to YNP but no bison :) You'll find elk easily in the Rockies and sometimes big horn sheep. Of course... the thermals of Yellowstone are awesome.

If you're looking for a scenic, critter and thermal filled 8 days, YNP gets the nod for sure. If you want to hike the mountains? it's the Rockies.

Do both at some point, yes. If it is for this summer- perhaps go where you find the lodging.

Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

We are thinking July of 2019.

Brookhaven...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

Thank you for this insight. We are planning the trip for Summer 2019, and we do enjoy hiking, but aren’t extremely experienced or picky about where it occurs, so as long as we can do some hiking we will be happy. I think the Yellowstone scenery and the comments here have pushed me to the Yellowstone/Tetons option. I really appreciate all of the feedback!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

Start looking for your lodging now. It opened May 1, 2018 for 2019. Use only www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com for in-park lodging. For the Tetons, there are two lodging companies, as well as the town of Jackson. I recommend you switch over and post on the Wyoming forum for help with the trip. https:/…ShowForum-g28973-i480-Wyoming.html

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone/Tetons or RMNP/Vail - 8 days

For within the Tetons look at Moulton Ranch Cabins:

http://www.moultonranchcabins.com

Brookhaven...
8 posts