We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

st. louis
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

My husband and I are planning a driving trip in Sept from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP. I am thinking of spending the first night on the outskirts of Cleveland, OH (any suggestions). The next 2 nights would be at Niagara Falls on the US side. Is one day enough to spend in the Niagara falls area? From Niagara Falls we will go to Acadia NP. Looks like a little too far to travel in one day, any suggestions as where to stay on the way to Acadia? It looks like Bar Harbor is a good base for Acadia unless there are some other suggestions. We (in our 60's) like scenic drives and short, mostly level hikes (old age knees!). Planning 3 - 4 days in Acadia - is that enough or too much? From there we will return home to St. Louis. Planning on approx. total 10 -12 day trip. Is there any WW II museums anywhere along the way? We have been to the Airforce museum in Dayton which was awesome. Thanks for any suggestions

13 replies to this topic
Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
83 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

Consider Montreal on the way there. It is a great city when the weather is warm. It is a little longer driving so I would look for something on the US side on the way back, when I assume you are not doing Niagara again.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 09:57
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,546 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

hi

it is a good idea to post or look on the Niagara Falls forum to see what is on the US side and the reason there are lots of recommendations to go across to the Canadian side for a look at the Horseshoe Falls; the latter means you will need a passport.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

You should definitely have passports so you can go to the Canadian side of the falls, too. One night and 1 day are enough to see everything, unless you go for the schlocky museum stuff.

Niagara falls to the Albany area is 4-1/2 to 5 hours, not sure how far you want to drive in 1 day.

From Albany you can use route 7 cut across country to Bennington, Vermont, then route 9 (Molly Stark Trail) to Brattleboro. If your goal, however, is to get to Acadia as quickly as you can, you'll do better to stay in the highways, and take I-90 through Massachusetts - note that is a cashless toll road, you need an EZPass transponder, or there will be a bill in the mail to the license plate owner.

3 full days in Acadia is good if you are not doing any long hiking or kayaking adventures. Bar Harbor is the usual town people stay in, but also look at options outside town (cottages) or on the 'quiet side' of the island.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,580 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

I went through Canada last year with my brother to attend a family reunion north of Detroit. I had a passport but my brother had an enhanced driver's license & no one stopped us either way to & from Syracuse. So the OP should check the requirements for travel into Canada as there may be options other than a passport for them.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,781 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

Definitely visit the Canadian side ! Why ?

• Just about every view YOU have seen of the Falls was taken from the Canadian side.

• Cleaner

• Much more to see and do.

Citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border, by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Best Regards

Edited: 14 June 2018, 00:21
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

can you bike? the carriage roads in Acadia are good for more "level" walking or biking. Also, Jesup Wood is a level walk and so is the walk around Jordan Pond.

We did this trip a few years ago and one of our stops on the way home was the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, Vt. Have NO idea what route you wish to take, but just loved the place. Very eclectic and interesting. Entrance fee gets you in 2 days We used a day and 1/2. might check it out to see if it's something you'd be interested in? and if it fits on your route.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,823 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

The US side of the falls is a lovely, clean, green state park and is much less frenetic than the Canadian side so it depends on what you want to experience. I would look at staying in nearby Buffalo on the US side as there are more options there than in Niagara Falls, NY as it is the 2nd largest city in NYS.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 05:07
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,580 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

One of my favorite things to do at the Falls is on the Canadian side. If you go to Table Rock, you can watch the water disappear over the precipice.

st. louis
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas. Going to Canadian side is not an issue as we have passports and have been told before that the views on the Canadian side are awesome. I am looking at the routes from Niagara Falls to Acadia. The input from fflbrgst was appreciated. What the heck is the EZ pass transponder?? Do all the toll roads require this or is it just in Massachusetts? I know that there is portions of the routes that are toll but I have never come across a cashless toll. If we take route 7 to Bennington and then 9 to Brattleboro, will we avoid the cashless toll road? If so, that will probably be the route we take (it looks like an additional hour or so but I don't mind that). I forgot to ask - what is the weather like in mid to late September? I know it is early for foliage change but is the weather still nice (60s ?) and hopefully not too rainy. Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas!!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,823 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP

"If we take route 7 to Bennington and then 9 to Brattleboro, will we avoid the cashless toll road?"

Yes.

"I forgot to ask - what is the weather like in mid to late September?"

Typically perfect IMO - mid 60s to mid 70s during the day.

Reply to: Road trip from St. Louis to Niagara Falls to Acadia NP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted