We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from SD to Asheville NC

South Dakota
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip from SD to Asheville NC

My husband and I are taking a fall trip to Asheville, traveling on I-29, then I-70 and I-64. Any recommendations for interesting stops?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

You have posted on the Chicago forum, inadvertently I assume, since your route goes nowhere near here.

You will want to re-post on the Road Trip forum. Safe travels.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

Hi,

I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Road Trips Forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Best regards,

Joanne

The Community Team

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

Kansas City has great BBQ so if you happen to stop during meal time check that out.

St. Louis has the arch.

Nashville would be a good overnight spot as they have tons of music everywhere every night.

Pigeon Forge is the entry way to Smoky Mountain National park. Its very touristy, but the park itself is wonderful and I'd highly recommend a stop there.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a must see. I would avoid staying in towns like Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Cherokee. They are close by, but overcrowded, commercial tourist traps. Look into Townsend or Cosby in TN. GSMNP is the most visited of all US National Parks, so be prepared for some traffic.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,642 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

If you come I70 and I 40 be sure and also stop in Memphis for music, Elvis and awesome BBQ.

For I 64 you have KY horse park near Lexington.

Edited: 10 September 2016, 03:46
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,045 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

The KY Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill (about 30 minutes south of Lexington) would be an additional great stop if you are interested in Lexington.

Edited: 10 September 2016, 07:42
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,734 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

The Smoky Mountains as suggested are great but can be crowded in fall months. Some people like Gatlinburg and Pigeon forge which are touristy. Others prefer to stay in Townsend or other quieter places outside rhe park.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

As mentiioned, GSMNP is by far the busiest of all the national parks. 2016 will break all records as it is the 100th anniversary of the NPS. The below are last year's numbers and do not include the visitors to the region just outside the park which only adds to congestion and traffic.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park: 10,712,674

Grand Canyon National Park: 5,520,736

Rocky Mountain National Park: 4,155,916

Yosemite National Park: 4,150,217

Yellowstone National Park: 4,097,710

Edited: 10 September 2016, 20:47
9. Re: Trip from SD to Asheville NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2017, 12:18