We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel for any reason insurance?

boston, MA
Level Contributor
389 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cancel for any reason insurance?

I am planning on a river cruise next year and since it's so far off, travel insurance is a good idea. I can get it through the cruise line and could get trip cancellation insurance, which deals with covered reasons (including medical), and also cancel for any reason, which costs more and covers 80% of the costs--not all. The travel agent says she favors the cancel for any reason type. Any thoughts on whether the extra cost might be worth it?

Also, my credit card includes cancellation insurance up to $10,000, which is more than the cost of the cruise, but not more than the cruise and other expenses like air fare and any travel before and after. Including those on the cruise line insurance would increase the premium. I was thinking of using that (in whatever kind I get) for the cruise only, and relying on the credit card insurance, which has no extra cost, for the other things. Has anyone ever done that?

Input most appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancel for any reason insurance?

I do not insure the cost of the air travel. My thinking is that even if the airfare is non-refundable you can cancel and, for a re-booking fee, use it to pay for a different trip within a year. You might want to do the math to see if the re-booking fee exceeds the added premium to cover the airfare.

In my admittedly limited experience purchasing travel insurance (I only buy it if I'm going on an organized tour where I have to pay well in advance of departure) I have found that it's less expensive to buy travel insurance myself thru a broker like squaremouth.com or insuremytrip.com than to buy the cruise line/tour operator's preferred travel insurance for the same or better coverage. Of course it requires more time and effort to do it that way.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancel for any reason insurance?

Cancel for any reason could include things like sickness/death in the family (not just you), work commitments that make travel impossible. weather related issues etc. Make sure that your insurance covers repatriation of body, expenses of someone who may need to travel to accompany you home (if travelling solo), special flights that may be necessary etc.

I find like most insurance in the long run, it pays to deal with the same company/agent every trip so they get to know you and your needs and are there for you if you need them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancel for any reason insurance?

I was just looking at an explanation of "cancel for any reason" trip insurance. It said that one must insure ALL the prepaid and nonrefundable trip expenses. So I wonder if that requires one to insure the air travel as well as the tour cost. It would be necessary to contact the insurer to find out the definitive answer. And it only provides a refund for up to 75% of covered expenses, so how good an idea is it really?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancel for any reason insurance?

Culture Vulture - how do you work out that 'non refundable' actually doesn't mean that but is cancellable and rebookable? Don't think so.

Reply to: Cancel for any reason insurance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted