We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland

Hello! My parents (both aged 75) are looking to go on a River Cruise this September. They didn't book it sooner because my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and they needed to wait and see if he needed treatment. Needless to say he doesn't and now they want to go on their first trip to Europe this September. They are considering Ireland and a River Cruise and they want to go to Budapest and Prague. Can anyone recommend a good river cruise company that would give them a great local experience, but can also be accommodating to seniors.

Or if you have a recommendation on a tour of Ireland that would give them a good local feel that would be great. They are targeting September for their trip. Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland

For Ireland, consider CIE Tours. For river tours, consider Viking and SAGA. SAGA, in particular, are for older people. Budapest is best combined with Vienna, Bratislava and Belgrade (as that is where the Danube flows).

You will, of course, have to add on the cost of airfares to and from where your parents live.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland

Most river cruises cater to seniors. They tend to have sedate activities and somewhat unadventurous meals. Many younger travelers look for fast paced adventures and more reasonable priced trips. River cruising is not inexpensive.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
7,141 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland

We used Viking in a cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam but they also offered an add-on to Prague. The majority of the passengers were older and with various mobility levels but I would expect it might be difficult to find something with them for this September and it definitely won’t be a cheap holiday especially factoring in air fare and a side trip to Prague. I think most river cruise companies give you a good but short taste of what’s on offer at each port of call. One benefit of a cruise is having one place to come back to each evening.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,772 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland

Greetings sdnj,

Easy to plan a trip to Ireland with a bit of help from the Ireland Travel Forum.

https:/…ShowForum-g186591-i88-Ireland.html

Your parents can fly in & out of Dublin / Shannon and take trains to a number of locations in Ireland, easy access to B & B's & hotels,many places have hop on / hop off buses. There are also tours to popular sites. Dublin has a very good public transportation system.

Go Colonials!

Kesh_grammy

Reply to: River Cruise in EU or Tour of Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
;