We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Hanover Township, NJ
14 posts
Save Topic
May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Wondering if anyone out there can help. I am planning a trip for my family for late May 2014. My kids are Boys 20 & 19 and a girl 16 (these will be their ages at time of travel). This will probably be our last family vacation since my boys will be graduating college and onto jobs and graduate schools. We have done the sightseeing trips in the US and done some Caribbean islands. I was thinking Cabo San Lucas. My husband and I honeymooned there 21 years ago. I would love to go back and see how much it has changed, however, my husband wants to go somewhere new. I was thinking Cayman Islands, US Virgin Islands, Aruba, Turks and Caicos etc. I would like to go somewhere safe where I wouldn't have to worry about the boys being out late and on their own (Yes I know they are old enough, but they are still my boys). Ideally, I would love to rent a condo. We would also like to go somewhere where we can do watersports and swim with the dolphins. We own a summer home on the Jersey Shore so summer travel is out of the question, therefore, we would like to go somewhere where it will be warm in May. If there are other travelers out there who have done a family vacation with older kids, please help.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Have you considered Curacao? Yes it's pretty close to Aruba but bigger and a nice town (Willemstad) and they can swim with the dolpins.

Hanover Township, NJ
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Thank you Tet14, I have not looked into Curacao yet, but I will do so now.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,473 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

St. Maarten is another lovely island, with fabulous food and shopping in addition to all of the beaches and watersports available..............there are condo rentals available on the island too....May will be nice and warm....check the Holiday Rentals section of this screen........scroll up to the top, and look for the green bar...4th from the left....

Hanover Township, NJ
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Dear Eden7, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I would NEVER return to St. Maarten. My husband and I visited there in the late 1990's and were held up at gunpoint on our first night there.We were in a jeep and were pushed off the road and then a man came out of his car and fired the gun in the air as a warning not to move. If I close my eyes, I can still see the man holding the gun to my husband's temple. It was a very scary situation. We stayed for the duration of our vacation, but we were terrified every time we went out at night. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Curacao is not always that safe either and you know what happened in Aruba years ago. Think you just were unlucky but a horrible experience indeed.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,473 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

3kids...............understand your reason for not wanting to return.......a very bad experience indeed......I have visited the island many times, even travelling as two single women once, and not encountered issues.....crime is everywhere unfortunately....:(

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

With that age range, I would seriously consider Beaches Turks and Caicos. Safe island, resort filled with a huge variety of activities for all ages and a beautiful beach with off resort activities easily assessible.

Madrid, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Hi!

Family holiday sounds fab! I just wanted to say I have been to Aruba and Caicos and they are beyond beautiful however different.

There is a lot to do in Aruba which will be suitable for families as the kids will want to do there own thing to! You have to be careful with Aruba as it has many hurricanes however you are going at a good time of year. Aruba website http://www.aruba.com/things-to-do This website is really good, it will tell you what activities you can do in Aruba. Arubabeaches website arubabeaches.net/50-places-to-stay-in-aruba/ This will give an insight on where to stay! I would highly recommend Aruba and especially with older kids! :)

Turks & Caicos is a bit more laid back but is pretty dry! It is also really lovely however traveling with kids especially boys I would say Aruba! I always use to do my research like this when I was also traveling but I came across Tripobox website https://tripobox.com/ and its easier to book for groups. I planned a trip to London with my Husband and my sons with this. You should think about London in the future! Its lovely! So different to here in Spain! :)

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Enjoy your trip!

Hanover Township, NJ
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

First, thank you to all for posting. Yes, it was a very unfortunate situation that happened to us in St. Maarten. My in-laws went there every year for many years and never experienced any problems. We were just unlucky.

Mikki, what a coincidence that I should read your post today. My middle son, 19, keeps trying to talk me into London. He wants to do a London trip while my older son and I want to do a beach trip. My 16 daughter, of course, wants to do Disney because she says she can't remember it from 5 years ago. My husband is up for anything so long as it's not somewhere we have already been (Cabo, Punta Cana, St Maarten, Martinique). Did you post about your London trip on TA? I would love to hear what you did in London; maybe it will encourage me to go there instead of an island. I look forward to hearing from you.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 2014 Vacation with Family/Kids 20, 19, 16

Just a suggestion. Have you considered Amsterdam in may. Your kids and you sure will like Amsterdam.

Get answers to your questions