We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday for $15,000

Rockhampton...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Holiday for $15,000

Hi

Just wondering were I could go for my family holiday next year around August to October 13, we are free. 2 Kids will be 11 & 10yrs. Open to any suggestions. Can fly out from Brisbane or Gold Coast, Australia.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

Can you please clarify.....did you want to go from August to October, or somewhere between August and October, and if so for how long?....................what are your interests.?......are the children boys/girls?...how long a flight are you willing to make?.............

Rockhampton...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

They are girls, would like some adventure and some relaxing. I dont want to back pack so medium nice clean places to stay. Travel is Open from August to October 14 - so flexiable with any dates in those months. The happy to do long flights, happy to do all inclusive or not - open to places to go and see and explore. Dont just want to go to sit in a resort for a week - dont want to do Fiji or Bali. thanks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

South Africa comes to mind. USA and Canada are a possibility. Both offer a diverse range of areas to explore and could be done for well within your budget. You could have a very nice trip to either with your budget. We just made a nice almost 3 week trip to Turkey that cost significantly leass than the amount you mentioned. With your budget you can have a nice trip (just about) anywhere.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

September/october (not august) for California. Arizona and Nevada. San Diego zoo, seaworld, Disney Land Anaheim and more places in LA. Drive to Grand Canyon NP, to Las vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite NP, San Francisco and along the coast back to LA. Great trip!

Rockhampton...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

Hi

that would be perfect - are you able to give me more of an Itenary. I would like to stay in San Francio for at least 5 nights and squeeze in 2 days at disney land and 1 day universal studios. thankyou Jo

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

If California interests you, the best information will come on the California forums. Having said that, here are some ideas. I think most flights from Australia will land in Los Angeles, so you might as well start there. California has two premier national parks, Yosemite and Sequoia. These have some high elevations so may be better in September than October. The San Francisco area and the Pacific coast are beautiful. Depending on the length of your trip you can include Las Vegas, and maybe even the Grand Canyon. I suggest renting a car and making this a driving tour. Work your way up the coast from LA to SF, over to the mountains, and then drive back south. With 2 weeks you could pretty easily do what you mentioned, plus add in the parks. Instead of the parks you could add in San Diego or Las Vegas. With 3 weeks you could do everthing I have mentioned. LA to SF is a full day drive I think, longer if you make stops along the coast. Yosemite to Las Vegas is a very long day's drive. Sequoia to Las Vegas also a long day. Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon is about 5 hours I think.

Arough estimate or budget:

tickets Australia to LA 1500 USD each

midsize rental car 350 USD per week

lodging budget 200 USD per night (cheaper in some areas, SF and LA is expensive)

admission to theme parks 100 USD per person per day, roughly

This puts a 2-3 week trip roughly in your budget. You can save money by shopping carefully for hotels. You can find decent enough places for less than what I listed by shopping carefully. I think you can probably get the car and flights a little cheaper as well. These are estimates based on past experience. My opinion is look for nicer motels instead of full blown hotels. For the distance you will be traveling, you might as well stay as long as your budget will allow. With 2 carefully planned weeks you can have a nice trip, with 3 weeks it can be very nice and allow you to see alot.

I am not sure Disneyland is worth 2 days, one might suffice. Also, I suggest trimming 5 nights in San Francisco to maybe 3. Consider spending a night in Monterey and/or another location along the coast. If you want to stay in any of the national parks, be prepared to book early.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

You also can use the Road Trips forum and yes I can give you any detail on a road trip but need to know how long you exactly have for the roundtrip. With 4 weeks you also can add places like Bryce and Zion NP and more.

Here's the link to the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_T…

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

How about Mexico? Plenty of water adventures to enjoy and impressive temples to visit...

Rockhampton...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

Hi thanks for so much information. I have 4 weeks set aside for the trip. Dont want to add to many places as I woudl really like 5 night in SF and am happy to stop a night along the coast drive from LA to SF and 5 night in LA to do a day trip to Disneyland if you think it only needs a day, 1 day for Universal studios, 3 days to look around, if Knotts Berry farm worth a visit?

Rockhampton...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Holiday for $15,000

Hi

I will research the drive forums and get back to you with an idea of places and length of stays. Thankyou.