We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tep Wireless

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
57 helpful votes
Tep Wireless
Save

If you want a good solution for having Internet access while you're in Europe or the UK, do NOT use Tep Wireless. They are a total fraud of a company. No customer service. Device does not work as advertised. You might as well flush your money down the toilet. I plan on reporting them to the Better Business Bureau when I'm back in the U.S. They do not answer emails or phone calls. And I tried a dozen times over 4 days.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
29 helpful votes
21. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

Well, this thread has me pretty worried. I reserved a TEP back in February (they were having a great sale, and there weren't any bad reviews to be found) for a trip I am taking in July. I'm relying on it to provide internet to my family's four devices while we are traveling by car and train, and I'll be very disappointed and frustrated if it doesn't all work out as planned.

As an aside, I just received an email from TEP about another sale, and thought I should check to see if the price was lower than my previous rate. Well, the prices have more than doubled! My 16 day rental with unlimited plan, extra battery, and insurance is $95. But if I re-price it now, it is over $200. Yikes! Hope they don't try to change my price.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
22. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

Beware!

We would also add a negative review with the same bad experience as many others with TepWireless.

My wife was recently staying in Majorca and rented a Tep device to keep in touch with the rest of us at home. Like many others that have posted on TripAdvisor and elsewhere she also found that the device would not connect to the internet.

I contacted Tep using the on-line chat support and they were responsive. Unfortunately, the only suggestion was to go into the router setup and quite a long list of instructions was then sent by email. Of course, my wife did not have email! I attempted to relay these on the phone (I suppose many folk did not have this option) but we had no success and gave up as the router menu appeared to be different to the instructions and it was anyway too difficult to relay over the phone. I then enquired whether she would get a refund and the response was that the device would be checked out when it was returned to see if it was faulty and it would depend on what they found.

Again, like others we attempted further contact after returning the device but have not yet got a response and clearly this company does not care about its customers at all. This is a small UK company with one director, Tomas Mendoza (see e.g, http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tepwirelesscom-Fonmigo-Ltd/nationwide/Tepwirelesscom-Fonmigo-Ltd-Tomas-Mendoza-Simone-Rigoni-Internship-Issue-London-Natio-977695): The TepWireless website does not appear to show their company registration details as required by UK legislation but it is easy to track them down on the web and check their details.

However small this is no excuse for not responding to customer complaints of course. In fact the reverse should be true if they want to stay in business. It is clear (retrospectively) that they are not necessarily responsible for the failure of the device to connect to the internet as that can be due to the signal and service provider in a given location. But, they need to explain at the time of purchase that refund could not be given in these cases and highlight that there is a possibility of no service: Most people will see the website and newspaper reviews etc., and have the impression that connection is guaranteed rather than being dependent on a third party.

We would have been regular users of the service but obviously would not take the risk again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
33 helpful votes
23. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

I had a positive experience overall with Tep in Rome and Florence a few months ago. Speeds were not great but better than the free wifi on the trains. sending and receiving the product was fine. prob didnt need the extra battery. Looking at using it for france now. seems like the only alternative is xcom global but they just shut down a NYC distribution point.

Los Angeles...
1 post
24. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

Thinking about renting a Tep. It was highly recommended to me by three of my colleagues in our agency, and I think it would be perfect for my trip to Spain in late August. Usually people only posts reviews online when they are dissatisfied with products, it's much less common to hear from those who are satisfied. Encouraging to see the positive posts about Tep, hopefully I won't be proven wrong!

Rock Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
25. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

I came onto TripAdvisor to complain about them myself.

Do NOT use them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our hotspot worked for 1 day!! After that, it would not charge. We returned it to Paddington Station after emailing tepwireless to let them know about the problem. They agreed to send a new one and asked for an address. Given that we were traveling around the UK (because we were on vacation and wanted to see as much as possible), I gave them 2 addresses, each one dependent on what day it would be delivered.

Of course, they sent it to the wrong one! We asked for a refund, and they refuse to respond. Then, I got an email after we returned from the UK that we had never returned our hot spot and charges would apply.

A fraud of a company. I'm very upset that VisitBritain.com partners with them!!! It makes them seem legitimate.

peterven
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
10 helpful votes
26. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

I had a terrible experience as well. I went on a roadtrip for 2 weeks throughout Portugal and Spain. The device was misconfigured and it took me desperate emails and chats to get someone to help me. Their biggest friend is to make customers wait so they don't billed by the carriers. I think they also offer services (like unlimited internet in Europe) that they can't provide.

I paid $200 worth of 2 weeks and probably only got 4 days worth a few emails. I contacted them to get a refund and they pretended for 1 month that someone was looking into my case (again, time is their best friend). I can't see how a company like this will stay in business for too long

Hayes, England...
Level Contributor
74 posts
27. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

Very nice information and good thread.

Harmony...
1 post
28. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

Worked well in Florence and Rome, speeds comparable to AT&T 3G stateside.

Casas Adobes...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
29. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

I had an absolute nightmare working with TEP. I didn't check reviews before hand because I had previously used their service when they were Fomingo. What a difference this time.

I was traveling to Scotland, England and France in March and wanted a "global" solution. YES, I know it's easy to get a data sim card in the UK but it's very difficult to get one in Paris.

My device did not ship until AFTER I left the US even though I called to confirm the delivery date. This was one of only times I was actually able to et a person on the phone. Don't bother leaving a message, they will not call you back.

After several e-mails and finally getting a live person to answer the phone, they agreed to deliver the device to my first stop in Scotland. It never showed up.

More e-mails....They asked to deliver it in London but I was staying at an apartment and didn't want to hang around waiting so I requested a refund. I was told that it would be passed on to accouniting and they would get right back to me with details.

YEAH Right! That never happened either. I called my credit card company and explained the problem and they were very helpful and gave me a full refund of the charge.

Here's the Kicker...I started getting e-mails "reminding" me that if I did not return the device, I would be charged for it!

Stay away from these people, it's just not worth the risk. I went to vodaphone UK in Victoria Station, got a prepaid sim with roaming and used it in London and Paris for 20 pounds.

1 post
30. Re: Tep Wireless
Save

I agree with all the negative posts on here. These guys are utter charlatans. I ordered one of their devices to use in the US, picked it up at the airport but as soon as I got to America the device did not work. I attempted to call and email their support but it took days for them to get back to me each time saying they had contacted the provider and it would be fixed but nothing ever worked. I returned the device at the airport and I have since been trying to get my money back but I get no response back. I will now be pursuing them through my solicitor. Avoid them like the plague!

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.