We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 night itinerary question

Ontario
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
11 night itinerary question

Hello wonderful trip advisor people,

I know that you get asked this question a million times but I am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give us some advice or helpful input on our tentative itinerary. We will be coming from London England on April 25 and staying for 11 nights in beautiful Croatia. I have dreamed about going to this country for so long! Here is what we tentatively have planned

April 25- Zagreb

April 26- Zagreb .. (or should we split up and do one in both Rovinj or two nights in Rovinj instead of Zagreb altogether...we will have a car)

April 27- Rastoke (Plitvice Lakes)

April 28- Zadar (wanted to see the ocean organ and the lights...is it worth staying overnight)

April 29- Hvar

April 30- Hvar

May 1- Brac

May 2-Makarska

May 3- Dubrovnik

May 4- Dubrovnik

May5- Dubrovnik

May 6- Fly back to London.

We are staying in Dubrovnik for 3 nights and we are planning to take a day trip to Kotor. In your opinion should we tweak any of these places...maybe stay in Hvar for 4 nights and take the ferries to Brac and Makarska for day trips but keep one island as our home base. We love a bit of nightlife (neat places to go for a nice dinner and drinks) and hiking or driving beautiful scenery. Unfortunately we will be too early for swimming but maybe it would still be warm enough for lying on a beach on the first week of May. Should we maybe allow for an extra night in Dubrovnik to relax and explore more?

Thank you so SO much for all of your help!!! The trip is for our 25th wedding anniversary and we just want to pick the best places since we have such limited time in Croatia.

10 replies to this topic
Durham
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 night itinerary question

I find the Sea Organ pretty dull and the light installation wasn't working on my last two visits. Would spend time admiring the old town instead. Sibenik, Krka, Trogir, Split more worthy of time and attention than the Sea Organ. Wouldn't bother with Makarska and Brac at that time of year. Stay in Trogir/Split or spend longer on Hvar. Might be beach weather in early May, but might not.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 night itinerary question

Of course Zagreb and Rovinj are very dissimilar but both very good destinations. I'm not a fan of one-night stays except for places such as Plitvice Lakes or having to be near an airport so wouldn't advocate one night in each. Istria is so gorgeous and lovely and worth a few weeks alone! Tough decision...would you prefer a pretty and interesting city or a small stunning coastal town? Rovinj is quainter and drips with charm but there is more to see in Zagreb as it's larger. However, staying in Rovinj would enable you to see a few sublime medieval hilltop villages, easily comparable to those in Italy...or even better in my opinion.

Late April to May is a great time to be in Croatia for fewer crowds and warm but not stifling hot weather. You've chosen well!

Edited: 17 January 2018, 01:35
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 night itinerary question

I agree with apt and would advise skipping Makarska and Brac.

Ontario
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 night itinerary question

Thank you so much for your input! I will book two, maybe 3, nights in Rovinj and save Zagreb for our next trip. I loved the hilltop towns in Italy so that made my decision (that and when you wrote that Roving is quainter and drips with charm) ! That is also great to know about the light installation, thank you. I will skip Zadar and spend more time in Hvar as well as looking into the other places that you have mentioned. Thank you so much, these forums are such a wealth of information!

one more question, once we reach the coast and depart for Hvar, would you advise us to turn in our rental car?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 night itinerary question

I'm biased (!) but do try to book 3 nights in Rovinj, especially as you enjoyed Italian hilltops. I recommend Grožnjan, Motovun, Bale, Oprtalj, Buzet (old town) and Završje; Hum and Gračišće if you have time. You could take a tourist boat to Poreč and Vrsar (coastal towns) for a day, explore Pula or take a quick trip to Brijuni Island if interested in Roman ruins.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,396 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 night itinerary question

You will need some form of transport on Hvar if you staying there for couple days and want to explore it. So I suggest you keep the car. If you only want to stay in one place and not explore the island, return the car.

Ontario
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 night itinerary question

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. We have decided to book two nights in Rovinj at a beautiful Airbnb in the old town with a lovely terrace. It was only available for two evenings unfortunately - but ... we decided to take your advice chefathome and check out some lovely hillop villages and we have booked an evening in Motovun with a balcony overlooking the Mirna Valley. Thank you so much!

Ontario
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 night itinerary question

Thank you Cromansydney, we booked a cute little place on Hvar that has parking for our car!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 night itinerary question

You're very welcome...I feel your excitement and am happy for you!

Korcula
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 night itinerary question

If you like nature, Plitvice are a good choice. stay a night there. Islands are refreshing. Tourist do mistakes visiting cities. If you want refreshing holiday go islands. Works for Asia too.

Best

Reply to: 11 night itinerary question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted