We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

Portland, Oregon
11 posts
Save Topic
navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

Hi -- this may be a request for reassurance more than anything else. I'm flying in to Split from the west coast of the US and need to get myself to Zadar after that. I usually do not sleep on airplanes, and if I do I don't sleep well, so I have to assume that I won't be at my best when I land. And that I might fall asleep between Split and Zadar, no matter how I get there.

I can see there is a bus, but that it does not leave directly from the airport, so I would have to get myself from Split airport to another location -- Split or Trogir? I'm pretty nervous about my ability to navigate multiple steps after a two-stop flight on no sleep.

My real questions are these --

1. I see that many people recommend going to Trogir from the airport instead of Split, because it's closer and in the right direction, which makes sense. However, it also looks like navigating the buses from Trogir to Zadar might be more complicated than from Split to Zadar, is that accurate? What about getting from the airport -- is one of these initial trips more straightforward than the other?

2. Will it be easy to find where I need to go if I have some experience navigating bus systems in other parts of the world?

3. And the most important questions -- will it be easy to get help with the buses at the airport if I am confused and less smart than my usual (and only speak English)?

(Renting a car is not an option for me. And I can afford a private transfer, though not easily and I don't want to go that route if I'm being unnecessarily nervous.)

Mentioned in this post
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Trogir
Trogir
8 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

When does your plane lands?

The line no 37 would bring you to Trogir:

http://www.promet-split.hr/en/airport-line

You can see there are SO many buses that you will have no troubles (especially because a lot of people speaks English).

https://www.buscroatia.com/routes-search/?dSn=Trogir+%28HR%29&aSn=Zadar+%28HR%29&d=&dS=1366&aS=1505

https:/…2018-06-08

Simply print these pages, show them to anyone and they will figure out where you want to go

Edited: 08 June 2018, 05:05
Mentioned in this post
Trogir
Trogir
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,325 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

It makes no sense to catch a bus to Split tot then catch it in the other direction to Zadar. Catch bus 37 to Trogir and another from Trogir to Zadar. The bus stops on the main road just across the airport car park. Just walk across the car park and don't cross the road. There is a bus shelter there.

You will get by with English in Croatia.

Mentioned in this post
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Trogir
Trogir
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Portland, Oregon
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

Thank you so much.

I know how much my problem-solving ability on no sleep, so I try to solve as many problems as I can before they happen. This is very helpful!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

Espresso coffee at Split airport is rather strong... Not the undrinkable Starbucks brew :-9

Mentioned in this post
Split Airport
Split Airport
Split, Croatia
Portland, Oregon
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

Excellent tip on the coffee.

What is the fare on the first bus? And am I correct in assuming that I would pay that on the bus?

Thank you again - I think that is my last question

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

well you have it on the Promet company likn - airport to Trogir,

Driving time: 10 min

Ticket price: 13,00Kn

Mentioned in this post
Trogir
Trogir
Portland, Oregon
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

(Update just in case anyone ever searches the forum with this question, and they want to know what happened)

I did take the bus and it was as easy as promised. The local bus to Trogir was especially simple, the fare was a little lower (11 Kn) which the driver was able to help me with without me looking individually at every coin :)

I did end up on the scenic route bus. This didn’t match the timetable I had printed out, but that is the nature of buses, right? They have to deal with traffic and delays too. The woman at the ticket window was very helpful, and with her limited (but very clear) English she was able to get me to the next bus to depart. I would imagine she could have helped me get on the next direct bus, but I was too tired and being on a bus I knew would get the was too appealing to pass up.

That said, the trip only took a little over three hours. The people I talked to in Zadar said the duration of that trip will be very different later in the summer. There were fewer than a dozen people on my bus, and only one or two got on on route so all of the stops were just for a minute or two. Given that the trip was not so long, I was very glad that I ended up on that bus. The views were constantly gorgeous and constantly changing, so the time flew.

Thank you again for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Trogir
Trogir
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,325 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?

Glad it all worked out in the end. Appreciate you giving us the feedback.

It sounds like the bus from Trogir went via Primosten, Sibenik, Pirovac and Biograd. If so, you got the scenery which you wouldn't have if you took the express bus via the new highway. You would have had the sea on your left side and a big lake on your right just before Biograd.

Let me assure you that the extra travel time was worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Trogir
Trogir
Primosten
Primosten
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Sibenik
Sibenik
Pirovac
Pirovac
Reply to: navigating from Split airport to Zadar on no sleep?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted